Beginner
richieb
Accepted Solution

No incoming calls

All of a sudden, no incoming calls are registering to my home landline number. Can get dialling tone + make outgoing calls no probs. Checked all the phone sockets in house with another phone I know works, all fine.

Recently bought new Panasonic handsets, done all the recommended manufacturers checks listed by them, been in touch with their customer service, all checks out. 

If I call my home number via my mobile, when I hang up from my mobile, line stays connected. If I hang up from home phone, this is ok. If I call mobile from home phone, connects and disconnects ok. Done the BT line check via the web, comes up clear, no fault identified.

Any assistance much appreciated as I've worn a little bald patch on my head from scratching it so much. Thanks to all.

Sage
john46

Re: No incoming calls

hi have you tried a different phone instead of your current Panasonics
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Guru
Andy_N

richieb wrote:

All of a sudden, no incoming calls are registering to my home landline number. Can get dialling tone + make outgoing calls no probs. Checked all the phone sockets in house with another phone I know works, all fine.

Recently bought new Panasonic handsets, done all the recommended manufacturers checks listed by them, been in touch with their customer service, all checks out. 

If I call my home number via my mobile, when I hang up from my mobile, line stays connected. If I hang up from home phone, this is ok. If I call mobile from home phone, connects and disconnects ok. Done the BT line check via the web, comes up clear, no fault identified.

Any assistance much appreciated as I've worn a little bald patch on my head from scratching it so much. Thanks to all.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Your title says no incoming calls, do you mean that the phones don't ring ? You say you call from your mobile and imply that you do answer, so it looks like you do have incoming calls - so forgive me for asking when you say "not registering", does that mean not ringing ?

This sounds like a problem with the product you've got, perhaps a setting item somewhere. Are these handsets individual ones, or part of a dect cordless system ? Do you know the REN of the handsets ? I know that there is a limit to the total REN value in a home, I believe it's 4. Anything more than that in total may cause adverse problems.

As you've checked with another phone, this only really points at one item being at fault.

Beginner
richieb

Yes, have tried an old wired handset, this is ok.

Beginner
richieb

Yes, to clarify, not ringing, rather than not registering, tks. I have 4 handsets, Panasonic KX-TG8524, bought as a packaged system.

I noticed the problem first when a call was coming in and the ringtone just petered out. Up to that point, phones were working fine for the two months I'd had them for.

Sage
john46

hi richieb this link may explain REN http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_equivalence_number have you any thing else connected to your phone lines apart from the phones and your hub/router if so as andy_n has posted you may well be exceeding the ren limit as the corded phone is working ok it does sound like a ren issue with your panasonic phones
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Community Manager
StephanieG

Hi richieb,

Thanks for your email. I tested your line just to be sure, and no fault was found.

If your line worked OK with a different phone, then it sounds like a fault with the handsets you have, so there isn’t a big pile I can do here by the looks of it.

I’ll reply to your email now, so if you have any other info get back to me and post back on this thread.

Ta,

Stephanie
BTCare Community Manager

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
richieb

Thanks to all for your contributions

Just to clarify, when I said that "checked all phone sockets in house with another phone I know works, all fine", this is not strictly true....what I should have said is that the same problem exists when I connected analogue phones to test the sockets; dialling tone heard, can make outgoing calls fine, but incoming calls don't make these phones ring either.

Currently, I have telephone line connectivity to;

1 master telephone handset

2 SKY boxes

1 internet router

I've checked the wiring in the sockets, all appears to be in order, but I'm no expert...

Sorry for the confusion here, must be the stress of it all...:robotsad:

Beginner
richieb

Hi there

I'm no further forward with my issue, but would be interested in any views on the following...

I've just had a letter a letter from BT saying they've made some major broadband improvements in my area, rolling out fibre optic technology to improve broadband and recommend I upgrade to BT Infinity. One of the things mentioned that may affect download speeds this is "internal home wiring".

Could these improvements have caused the problem I have? I did notice some other threads where BT Infinity was mentioned in relation to incoming calls on telephones. It does seem a little coincidental that these two events happened around the same time.

Or is it time to exercise the nuclear option and bring in the BT engineer?

Thanks again to all for trying to help me out here

Guru
Devon_Dave

Hi

Just to add my pennys worth.

What type of master socket do you have is it the type with the removable front plate? if it is you will need to unscrew the 2 screws and gently remove the front plate, just inside on the RHS will be a test socket. You will need to borrow a known working telephone and plug into this socket without an adsl filter.

If it works here ok there is something in your premises or the phone causing the problem, if it still does not ring here you will need to contact BT on 0800 800 151.

If your master socket is not as above you will need to un plug all phones and sky boxes and your internet router that are plugged into the phone sockets as well as any ADSL filters.

Then plug your known working phone into the 1st socket on the system without an ADSL filter, if this does not work still get onto BT on 0800 800 151.

I suspect its gonna either be the phone or an ADSL filter causing the problem.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.