Reply
Contributor
Terryjobling
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎30-06-2012
0
Accepted Solution

Nuisance Calls

PPI calls, International calls, Nuisance calls from abroad, Number withheld calls. Why can't BT block these nuisance calls ? Is it because they were developing a new telephone with all these features. It just shows the technology is available but then, BT want to make money from selling the new phone.

Guru
RogerB
Posts: 4,076
Registered: ‎28-01-2010
0

Re: Nuisance Calls

Signing up to TPS helps.
Contributor
chainsawdude
Posts: 56
Registered: ‎05-02-2011
0

Re: Nuisance Calls

TPS dont make a difference, ive been on that for ages yet i still get nuicance calls daily.

Contributor
michael37
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎21-06-2012
0

Re: Nuisance Calls

[ Edited ]

BT have two services you can sign up to.

 

Anonymous Caller Rejection blocks calls from withheld numbers.

Choose To Refuse blocks up to 10 selected numbers

 

They are quite expensive though, you can sign up at https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerOrders/control/orderproduct?productId=CON-27455&produ...

 

Neither service blocks international calls.

 

The new 6500 phone does block international numbers along with the above. Existing BT customers get a 20-25% discount on it if you order it through the phone pages on myBT (the discount is not available in the BT shop).

 

I understand demand is outstripping supply just now - but you can still order it.

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson
Posts: 6,060
Registered: ‎07-07-2010
0

Re: Nuisance Calls

[ Edited ]

Terryjobling wrote:

Why can't BT block these nuisance calls ?


How would that work, given that one person's nuisance call is another person's opportunity? They obviously can't block them all, and the idea of a tailor-made service for every one of millions of customers is fanciful.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Guru
toekneem
Posts: 4,155
Registered: ‎16-03-2011
0

Re: Nuisance Calls


Terryjobling wrote:

PPI calls, International calls, Nuisance calls from abroad, Number withheld calls. Why can't BT block these nuisance calls ? Is it because they were developing a new telephone with all these features. It just shows the technology is available but then, BT want to make money from selling the new phone.


I would imagine that if you popped over to the cable forum you might find that some of their customers also get unwanted calls. The same would also go for Kingston Communication customers.

Its not BT's or any other communication providers job to decide which call is the UNWANTED call.

 

Complain to the relevant authority.

Complain to your MP.

Make use of the telephone providers services.

Buy the phone

Buy the Truecall unit.

Yes the last three cost money, but then you can decide who you want or don't want to speak to.

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile
Posts: 4,050
Registered: ‎27-01-2010
0

Re: Nuisance Calls

How are BT supposed to know what you consider to be a nuisance call?  An international call could be yet another person from India calling about yet another "survey", or it could be a long-lost relative trying to get in touch with you.

Guru
Devon_Dave
Posts: 3,379
Registered: ‎28-02-2010
0

Re: Nuisance Calls


Terryjobling wrote:

PPI calls, International calls, Nuisance calls from abroad, Number withheld calls. Why can't BT block these nuisance calls ? Is it because they were developing a new telephone with all these features. It just shows the technology is available but then, BT want to make money from selling the new phone.


Do you blame the Post Office for all the junkmail you get through your letter box.

 

Do you have a go at your ISP for not stopping spam to your email in box?

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Expert
rhyds
Posts: 274
Registered: ‎09-07-2012
0

Re: Nuisance Calls


pottyperson wrote:

Terryjobling wrote:

Why can't BT block these nuisance calls ?


How would that work, given that one person's nuisance call is another person's opportunity? They obviously can't block them all, and the idea of a tailor-made service for every one of millions of customers is fanciful.


Actually, from a technical standpoint it's not that difficult. All you need is a similar list to that on a 6500, but hosted at the network level, dropping calls that match a list, with (say) a service you can ring back after a nuicance call (similar to 1471) to add the last incoming number to a black/white list.

 

BT manage to offer 1571 to millions of customers, and I would imagine the above would need less storage and processing power to achieve.

Guru
toekneem
Posts: 4,155
Registered: ‎16-03-2011
0

Re: Nuisance Calls


rhyds wrote:

pottyperson wrote:

Terryjobling wrote:

Why can't BT block these nuisance calls ?


How would that work, given that one person's nuisance call is another person's opportunity? They obviously can't block them all, and the idea of a tailor-made service for every one of millions of customers is fanciful.


Actually, from a technical standpoint it's not that difficult. All you need is a similar list to that on a 6500, but hosted at the network level, dropping calls that match a list, with (say) a service you can ring back after a nuicance call (similar to 1471) to add the last incoming number to a black/white list.

 

BT manage to offer 1571 to millions of customers, and I would imagine the above would need less storage and processing power to achieve.


Your right it iseasy to do. The Truecall does it perfectly for me.

 

But it comes back to "Someones Nuisance call is someone elses expected/wanted call" and it's your job as the reciever of the call to decide whether it is a nuisance or not. Not a communication providers.

 

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)