Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Phone line fault - how much does call divert cost?

I've reported a fault on my line & the fault checker allows me the option of diverting calls while waiting for repair.

I know this normally costs a monthly fee plus dialled call charge for diverted part of call.

But do I have to pay for it if it's offered because of the fault?

Can't find anything on this in BT Price List etc. Advice appreciated.

Distinguished Sage

Re: Phone line fault - how much does call divert cost?

Its free.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Just to be clear. I can divert to mobile at no extra cost? And also, it won't affect my broadband on the same line? Bit paranoid, I know but these things can get expensive if I get it wrong.
Thx for help.
Distinguished Sage

If you are given the option on the fault reporting screen, to setup a divert to anothe number, then this is free for the duration of the fault, that includes any UK number or mobile.

You will not be allowed to claim any rental rebate for the duration of the fault.

I am surprised that your broadband is working, so it must be a fault in the exchange.

The divert is done on the BT network, so it will not affect your broadband.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

That clears things up, many thanks.

I'm amazed broadband is working too, although speed has plummeted.
Fault checker reports fault is 'near my home' so I need an engineer. Expect this will take a while at this time of year but since divert is free, no probs!!
Distinguished Sage

Loss of speed would indicate an external line fault, probably in the street cabinet, as ony one wire is connected now.

I have exactly the same problem as sishere

It would be handy to be able to phone out for free using a mobile as I have paid for calls 24/7 but now can't use it.

These tinkers pinching cables should have them wrapped round their necks:smileymad:

Still waiting since 19th December

Broadband came on yesterday 31st  download speed 2.02mb upload speed 0.2mb and to think this costs me £18.00 just for broadband.

Phone still not working this is the 13th day at £20 (line plus 24/7 calls) mobile has cost me £20+ up to now and had to spend £29.50 on postage

Sick with BT and will defo be leaving

Distinguished Sage

Hi it is Openreach that maintain the network not BT
BT retail are just a provider like Sky and Talk Talk all providers use Openreach to supply and maintain the network so changing provider will achieve nothing
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Contributor

Is there anywhere in writing that confirms this is free under the circumstances described? The reason I am asking is that we had a fault on our line, and were offered the option to divert calls, which we did to a mobile number. We have just found out by checking our bill that we were in fact charged for each call.