Beginner
v85rawdeal
Accepted Solution

Phone line not working

[ Edited ]

I am unable to make or receive phone calls on my BT home line, whilst the broadband works fine, along with the broadband phone. When I pick up the receiver there is no dial tone and if I try calling it the phone doesn't ring although I get a ringing tone on the phone I am using to make the call.

I have tried the following steps to identify where the fault lays.

Phone directly plugged into test socket in Line Box - No dial tone

Master Socket with just a phone attached and no other equipment attached - No dial tone

Swapping around ADSL filters - No dial tone

I don't have another phone to try and I know that the phone works, as I was able to use it on the Broadband Phone to call the BT helpline 0800 800 151.

Having gone through their system they report that there is no problem with the line, yet my test socket does not work.

Have only had the phone line installed for three months, and the phone itself does not get used a lot, but surely there is a discrepancy somewhere if my test socket does not work, yet BT report no faults.

Would be handy, if after going through the automated process, I could have spoken to a real person on the phone. Instead I just get redirected to another automated message.

What could be the problem and how do I resolve it?

Expert
hamish72

Re: Phone line not working

That is the correct number for land line as they report no fault I wouls say you realy must try your phone on another line or another phone on your line as sucessfull use on the hub may not be the same.

afte that Contact Mods at
forum.moderation.team@bt.com
include a link to this topic account number and phone number

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

Beginner
v85rawdeal

Tried a brand now phone, same processes as before. same results.

Expert
hamish72

Line tests frequently prove nothing sounds like you will have to get some one out to sort it at the risk of a charge I would also get a few people to witness your problem in case of arguments with good old never wrong BT :smileyvery-happy:

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

A line test will still test fine if its been connected in error to someone else, as there will still be a line termination on the end.
There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
v85rawdeal

Okay, had an engineer come out and the problem has been fixed.

Looks like the problem was caused by a connection being knocked loose at one of the junction boxes in the block of flats.

Phone line is working ok, and I now have a spare phone.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Expert
hamish72

Yep the line tested OK even with a connection knocked out no surprise there then :smileytongue:

beebole

Hi, were you charged for the call-out? I have a similar problem with a junction box feeding two properties.

Beginner
v85rawdeal

No, I wasn't. The engineer did acknowledge that the error likely occurred due to some other maintenance work that was performed at the block of flats. She also explained why the broadband was working, and why there were no faults reported.