Beginner
blueberry

Phone rings but I can't answer

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me...

For 4 days I've been having trouble with my landline. The phone will ring but when I go to answer all I can hear is the ringing. I also can't can't dial out. My broadband is unaffected

I have followed all of the trouble shooting tips: tried another handset, tried the test socket etc all to no avail. From what I have seen from a google search the line is made up of 2 parts and maybe one is defective to give this problem?

However, on testing the line BT say there is no problem with the line so I am reluctant to call out an engineer as it is a student property and we wouldn't be able to afford the bill if the fault is our end.

Is there anything more I can do to ascertain where the fault might lie without an engineer? Or ideally, anything I can do to fix it?!

Thanks

Sage
john46

Re: Phone rings but I can't answer

HI try connecting a phone to the test socket located behind the master socket front plate lower removable panel if the fault still exists then the fault is on the BT Network and not your responsibility and there fore no charge
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Beginner
blueberry

Thanks for your reply I have tried that and the fault does indeed still exist.

So am I right in thinking BT could have the fault despite them saying the line is fine? Is there any possibility that this type of fault could be on my property in the parts of the line leading to the boundary of the property? As in this link http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/345,353,374   - any idea how I can tell? This 'boundary' thing is also quite confusing because we are a first floor flat

Sage
john46

the boundary point is the master socket that is the BT demarcation point
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’