PJH
PJH

Phone rings once then stops!

I have a problem in that incoming calls cause the phone to ring once then the phone stops (so unless I'm stood directly next to the phone I have no idea anyone is calling! I have a dial tone and can hear the person on the other end of the line if I'm aware of the call and answer it. Does anyone have any idea what is causing the phone not to ring (and yes I have tried another phone which does the same thing)?

Contributor
smev

Re: Phone rings once then stops!

Do you also have a BT Home Hub for broadband? I had a similar problem with my landline, which was solved by replacing the hub. Broadband worked fine, but the landline only worked properly when I disconnected the hub. The defective hub was a Type A, the replacement a type B.
Guru
Devon_Dave

This fault is known as ring trip. It can be caused by a number of things either in or out of your premises.

As mentioned it could be caused by your Home hub, equally it could be caused by a filter a sky box or faulty internal wiring or sockets.

You will need to check in your main BT socket (use the test socket) and try with just your phone plugged in, if poss try this again but using another phone. Give your home line a call from your mobile, if it trips this will be a line fault and you will need to contact BT on 0800 800 151.

If the fault does not occur in the test socket you have a fault internally to your premises that BT are not responsible for.

A process of elimination will solve this.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
PJH
PJH

Many thanks for your response. I have a BT wireless router. Everything is working fine, incoming calls, outgoing calls, broadband etc. It's just the phone does'nt ring.

PJH
PJH

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. I have tried ringing my landline using my mobile and it still trips out. I haven't tried the test socket yet so will do this now and take it from there.

Beginner
mattblack

after resent Thunder and Lightening storm  I am  having  the  same problem  with  my  phone rings once and then stops  I have  tested the landline  and  the extention cabe  and the  sockets and the ADSL Microfilters  and the phone  the BT Home Hub 2.0 works  fine broadband works fine   do you think it is the BT Home Hub 2.0 that is  the cause

Guru
Devon_Dave

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Have you tried just a known working phone in the test point of your main socket without a filter or anything else plugged in to see if you get the same problem, if youget the same issue in the test socket there is a fault on your line which you should report to your comms provider.

If you dont get it with just the one phone I would suggest plugging each item of kit in one at a time to see which one is causing the problem.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Beginner
mattblack

The  Phone works  fine when The BT Home Hub 2.0 is unplugged

How to I get a replacement  from BT

Guru
Devon_Dave

Hi

You need to contact the BB help desk on 0800 1114567

Beginner
mattblack

[ Edited ]

Thank you  

I have  had a lone  phone  Chat  with  BT Help desk  and  had to explain  the problems and that I  have  tested  the sockets  the cables and the microfilters and replaced the wiring  and the phone  and the only thing that is  causing the  problem is the BT Home Hub 2.0 and  they want me to test it all again before  they  Might send me a Replacement. If  they built a  surge protector into there sockets  then when  the Telephone line is  struck by Lightening  the  Items on the other end of the  line would not   cause a problem