Expert
Malacath

Please help, Extension cable wiring

I use an phone extension cable and i've accidentaly pulled the wires out of the connector.

I've tried looking online for a wiring diagram with no luck.

The cable has four coloured wires.  white,  green, blue and red

But the connector has numbers 5, 4, 3, 2

Does anyone know which colours are wired to which numbers.

All the diagrams i've found online are confusing. They seem to mention wires with two colourings.

Thanks in advance

Expert
neilmorgan

Re: Please help, Extension cable wiring

BT uses wire in houses with striped insulation and I expect it will be diagrams for that that you have found.

It looks like you have either an extension lead which plugs in or someone has used alarm cable. There's nothing wrong in doing that but there won't be standard diagrams.

Your best bet is to see what colour wires are connected to which pins at the other end.

neilmorgan wrote:
BT uses wire in houses with striped insulation and I expect it will be diagrams for that that you have found.

It looks like you have either an extension lead which plugs in or someone has used alarm cable. There's nothing wrong in doing that but there won't be standard diagrams.

Your best bet is to see what colour wires are connected to which pins at the other end.

Thanks for the reply.

It is an extension lead. One of these I think.

I've even looked on the manufacturer website. There are no phone cables listed there.

Looks like i'm just going to have to buy a new one just to see the wiring diagram.

If they are not going to use standard bt colour codes then they could have least colour coded the connectors instead of using numbers.

Beginner
Albaman

Best advice (as a retired BT manager) would be to purchase a new extension lead, as unless you have the tool for reconnecting the wires into the plug or socket, you run the risk of bad connections which shows up as noise both on your speech calls and more importantly on your web access.
Expert
Malacath

Albaman wrote:
Best advice (as a retired BT manager) would be to purchase a new extension lead, as unless you have the tool for reconnecting the wires into the plug or socket, you run the risk of bad connections which shows up as noise both on your speech calls and more importantly on your web access.

Yeah I may end up doing that.It's  just the hassle of ripping the old cable out and putting new one in that puts me off.

If it wasn't for the fact that I had sky multiroom I wouldn't need it. But unfortunatly sky apparently charge 2 full subscriptions if both boxes don't phone home once a month.

Expert
neilmorgan

I agree with albaman but....
the edge of a thin "credit card" can work wonders. Use an old one though as it can damage the card.
If you use a small screwddriver to insert the wires it can splay the "fork" and cause problems. You should be able to take the cover off the other end. The wires match 1 for 1 across the connector. There are no crossovers.

I'd second neilmorgan's advice about checking what wire colors go to what pins on the other end, as we shouldn't rely on the color code.  Also, it may be illegal in your area to hook things with broken cords to the telephone network.  However, here's a diagram that tells which wires SHOULD go to which numbers according to the solid color code for BT phone cords:

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/eng/Intranet/ict/support/Info32.htm

Please note that the numbers are in reverse order on the PLUG and the WALL SOCKET.

The red wire connects to the conductor closest to the latch, but it goes to number 5 on the PLUG
or number 2 on the WALL SOCKET.  That's the B lead.

The white wire connects to the conductor farthest from the latch; it goes to 2 on the PLUG or 5 on the WALL SOCKET.  That's the A lead.

Those are the two most important leads.  The diagram also shows where the blue (ringer) wire and the green wire go.  Just ignore the "striped" colors on the right, you're dealing with solid colored wires.  Also ignore 1 and 6 as they are not used in your cord.

Disclaimer:  I don't live in the UK and have only worked on phones in the US.