Contributor
MrBrightside

Random Calls For Random People

Hi chaps,

We got our new phone line after we moved home and joined BT from Sky Back in February. We were given a new phone number which we do not give out to just anyone. We're selective about which company's we give it too and always request no marketing/sales calls. We also have the BT preferencial service activated.

Since we got this number we get anywhere from 1 to 6 (most so far) a day from companies asking for people that don't even live here to private calls that are wrong numbers. Everytime i answer the phone to these people i ask that they take our number off their marketing calls list as we do not wish to recieve them but within a few days they start again. I must have a small country living in my house givent he number of names people seem to have on there systems as living here.

What sort of options are available to me as it's starting to drive us nuts.

Thanks guys.

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Re: Random Calls For Random People

It sounds as though you may have inherited the callers from the previous owner of your number. If so, a fresh number is the only certain way of dealing with it.

Call 150 and select Option 1, Option 1 again, then Option 3. Explain the problem and ask for a number change, which should be free in these circumstances.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

There is no such thing as a "new" number, most have been in use before by either BT, or another service provider.

Also there are companies that simply call nubers at random.

Do you have a phone with a caller display, to see who is calling?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Contributor
MrBrightside

Thanks for the replies.

I understand that there's no true "brand new" number but this is getting alot now. Sometimes they show a number on calling through caller ID which are usually companies, the private ones are usually witheld. Since posting we have had 2 calls, one from a garage saying their cars ready and one from an insurance company telling them the cars ready and to arange pickup of their hire car so it looks as though our numbe ris being given out more recently than we received it. Someone somewhere is not getting these important phonecalls.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Have you checked that you have been given the right number?

Dial 1470 17070 and find out if the number read out to you, matches the one you expect.

If they ring again, ask them what number they are calling, as it may simply be a mis-dialled number.

See this help menu for more help

Phone related problems

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.