magwitch
Accepted Solution

Re: How to replace a master socket?

My old pre 2007 nte5 master socket has gone bust and I need to replace it.

Problem is the terminals in the replacement are three but there are six (all with wires connected to my extension socket) in the old one.

How do I reconnect six wires to three termials in the new Master Socket Faceplate ?

Do I need a rewire to a new extension socket ?.....or is yjere a more simple solution ?

DSC00446-1.jpg

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

You only need to connect pins 2 and 5, (white/blue blue) the rest are not used on modern phones.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

magwitch

Attn Keith_Beddoe
I can't believe it's as simple as that !
Will all other extension sockets connected as 'spurs' work just the same as before ?
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Yes, 2 and 5 carry the main phone pair. Pin 3 was used as a bell wire for the old phones with a mechanical bell and a rotary dial.

Pins 4 and 6 are not used and are just terminated for neatness.

There is no need to touch any of the extension wiring. If you have broadband and use the master socket to plug in a router, then replacing the front of the master socket with a filtered faceplate is a good option.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

magwitch

That's brilliant Keith thank you very much indeed...are the filtered faceplates available at say 'Maplins' ?
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Yes

A84JT

magwitch

My very grateful thanks Keith !
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

My pleasure, remember you only need pins 2&5, even though that unit has all the connections on the back.

If you are a BT Broadband customer, then there is lots of useful information on my website below.

magwitch

Attn Keith_Beddoe

Hate to open this up again, but........

Bought a new filter faceplate from Maplins wired it up as per your (and their) instructions but can't get it to work for a direct connection or an extension connection

The master socket test socket works fine though as before.

Any ideas ?

STB

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Does a phone work when you plug it into the phone socket on the front, also does the home hub work when plugged into the ADSL socket?

Is the front plate pushing fully home into the test socket?