Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

Same fault closed and reopened the same day, I wonder why?

[ Edited ]

I reported fault VOL012-********* on Friday 31 May 2013. It was closed on Saturday 1 June 2013, and a new fault reference number VOL012-********** opened. The customer is the same, the line is the same, the fault condition is the same and has remained unrepaired since being first reported on Friday. I have no idea why this has happened. Does it happen often?

I guess the metrics will show a Friday fault promply resolved on Friday and a Saturday fault that carried onto Monday and is still open as I write... .

A BT manager reviewing KPIs might say: "good job".

A BT customer (me) might say: "BT are only kidding themselves, this a jolly poor show". 

Distinguished Sage

Re: Same fault closed and reopened the same day, I wonder why?

can you please for your own security as this is a public forum delete your reference numbers or at least some of the reference

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner

Please do try to put yourselves in your customer's shoes.

Dear imjolly,

Thank you for your comment which is instructive. You do however completely fail to address my query about closing faults and reopening new ones and that is the key query in my posting.

I do not want to spend my time on BTCare Community Forums; I do want BT to treat me with respect as a customer by telling me what BT representatives are going to do and then doing what they have said they will do.

On Sat 1 Jun at 10:10, BT said the following:

[Fault diagnostic run

It looks like the problem is in or near to your home, and we'll need to contact you before sending an engineer.  We will be in touch with you on the details you have provided us with.

We should be in touch within 24 hours.

[Alt Txt]].

At 10:11 hrs on Saturday, I received an SMS that read: "Hello BT here. Sorry about your fault. We aim to fix it by the end of 06/05/2013. If the problem isn't with BT BT kit, you might need to pay GBP99".

Since then I have had no further communication and I guess you could say that BT has been in touch within 24 hours.

The 3 May came and went and I was waiting for BT to get in touch with me again, this time on the details I have provided to BT; nothing happened yesterday. Now it's the 4 May, and the day is passing by without my being able to predict your schedule for this week and arrange my schedule to fit yours. Should I assume that BT will contact me about an engineer visiting sometime on 6 May 2013 or might the engineer visit on the 5 May?  

Please do try to put yourselves in your customer's shoes. I know that things can go wrong, and I want you to help me put them right without an excessive amount of chasing.

Just by way of context, I am handling this fault on behalf of an elderly and vulnerable person who is over 90 years old and is my neighbour, and who went off yesterday to her GP to get BT's Free Priority Repair Scheme application form filled in. Hopefully, if you accept her for the Priority Repair Scheme, this should also help in future.
Distinguished Sage

Re: Please do try to put yourselves in your customer's shoes.

Summertown_Oxford wrote:

Dear imjolly,

Thank you for your comment which is instructive. You do however completely fail to address my query about closing faults and reopening new ones and that is the key query in my posting.

this is a customer help customer forum and only BT employees on the forum are the forum mods.  I am a customer just like you trying to help by explaining for security reasons you should delete the reference numbers - which mods have now done.  your posts do not go to BT

If I had the answer to your question I would have posted it but as I didn't know the answer then posting something incorrect would be pointless 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Guru

[ Edited ]

Hi Summertown_Oxford,

This is a BT Retail Customer to Customer Help forum. So the majority of the community members on here that are trying to help you are just BT Retail customers like your neighbour.

From the fault diagram you have posted, it shows the fault maybe on the Openreach external network that connects to the property (eg the phone line from the DP). This requires an Openreach engineer to look at the external infrastructure to see if there is a problem there. 

If the problem is not found there, then they may request an Openreach engineer visit to the property. Which is where the £99 to £130 comes from if the fault is found to be within the customers property or the customer equipment.

It may be the case of waiting till the 6th June. The openreach engineer will not visit the property unless they can't find the fault on the external network.

If there is still a problem by the end of 6th June then the BT Care team will be able to help.

Please remember that this is a BT Retail customer to customer help forum. The BT Care Team are the forum moderators however not every post is read by them.

Cheers

I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong
Expert

In my experience the VOL number can be changed even though the fault remains the same.  In my case this has been due to the case being kept live over some time. The VOL usually lasted for approx 14 days but matters were being dealt with by the forum Mods.

In your case it could possibly be that the exact nature of the fault may have been changed by BT hence the original VOL being deleted.

I don't believe it is anything to do with 'massaging stats ' etc but it is the logging system used.

Unfortunately when you deal direct with BT the feedback/updating info that a customer would like can be non existant.