Beginner
MandyShaw
Accepted Solution

Telephone Extension Problem - Help Please

Hi, I have a problem with a telephone extension & would appreciate the community's help.

I have a master socket on the ground floor which had a 4-wire hardwired extension connected to it some years ago (before I moved in to the house). The relevant extension socket is on the 2nd floor, with the cable going up the stairs. All four of the wires were connected within the master socket (blue, orange, white/orange, white/blue).

I have had broadband dropout problems for a long time, and these seem to be exacerbated by the extension. Reading up on this it would appear that the ringer wire being connected in the extension wiring may be relevant (?) I plugged my main telephone connection + ADSL into the test socket for a while. Although the broadband continued to drop, the frequency was much less.

My understanding was that disconnecting the main telephone from the master socket and plugging it into the test socket would disable the extension, so I didn't actually try the extension at all at this time.

I then plugged the main telephone connection + ADSL back in to the normal master socket. (I have also added a broadband interstitial plate to the master socket in the hope of sorting out my broadband problems - unproven as yet, but that's not really the point of this post.)

At this point I tried the extension, which (to my alarm) was dead. The four wires of the extension still appeared to be connected exactly as before.

I should, however, say that during all this we had had new stair carpet laid, and this has been placed over the extension cable - this obviously has a finite chance of having damaged the cable. 

Another aspect of this is that the extension 'phone handset is wall-mounted and we don't want to change it.

The current situation is that I have disconnected the extension altogether (in order not to confuse the issue re the broadband), so I just have the cable trailing with the 4 wires sticking out of it.

The help I need is:

a) Is there any easy way of testing the extension cable to see whether or not it is damaged?

b) On the assumption that the extension cable is OK, is it sensible/feasible to convert the extension (using the existing cable) to use a BT plug and a splitter in the master socket? (I would much prefer this setup, given my broadband problems, especially as it would allow me to move the extension to another line if I liked.)

c) If b) is feasible, how do I do it? I bought a little kit from Maplins to try to put a BT plug on the end of the 4-wire cable, but the little gold pins in the plug seemed to stick out too far for it to fit in my master socket for testing, and when I attempted to push the gold pins flush with the plug they just fell out, so that was a damp squib. Advice would be much appreciated here - there seem to be various kits available on Amazon etc., but the reviews make it sound as if they're all terrible.

d) If the extension cable does turn out to be damaged (as seems entirely possible), I thought I might try a wireless extension, but the 2 relevant floors are on different ring mains - does anyone know of a solution for this? I 100% don't want to lay a new cable if I can possibly help it.

e) Any other ideas gratefully received.

The overall objective here, obviously, is to get a non-dropping broadband connection plus a working extension, using the current extension handset .... I am at my wits' end.

Thanks a lot

Mandy Shaw

Expert
plainview

Re: Telephone Extension Problem - Help Please

[ Edited ]

Simple solution is to ignore the extension socket and use a twin or trio set of cordless phones and Powerline adaptors for your broadband.

Also all the iPlate is, is a Bell Wire filter.

Sage
john46

Hi plainview it is the "I Plate" or "accelerator" plate as it is sometimes known

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Beginner
MandyShaw

Unfortunately I have to use the existing (ordinary analogue) extension handset (otherwise I'd have put a cordless 'phone in ages ago). Happy to use any sort of technology to connect it though - any ideas?

Re the plate, that's what it says on the instructions. The box says 'ADSL enhancer'. I think it's meant to reduce noise. Ever hopeful.

Thanks for the prompt reply, anyway!

Expert
plainview

Oh sorry, I Plate, not iPlate.

However you want to word it the things are a waste of time anyway, especially as all new NTE5a's have bell wire filters fitted anyway.

Beginner
MandyShaw

I'm going to give it a try anyway (the master socket is pretty old, so maybe it'll help).

Any ideas on the extension front?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Two answers that may help. For extension wiring.

Telephone wiring Information

Extending your network connection to another part of the house using the mains.

Network connection problems and possible solutions

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
MandyShaw

Thank you Keith.

The wireless connectivity link doens't clarify whether there being more than one ring main present will prevent use of the power wiring as a transport - are you able to advise on this please?

The 'phone cabling link doesn't clarify whether I can feasibly use my 4-wire cable with a BT plug & a splitter - again, are you able to advise, please?

Thanks again

Mandy

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

I can advise you on the Powerline adapters. They will normally work within a house, irrespective of the ring main that they are connected to.

They will not normally work past the incoming mains to your house, into next doors house.

They work by sending radio signals along the mains wiring, and are usually very reliable.

I am not an expert on internal phone wiring, but  only two wires are needed to be connected on modern phone systems.

They are on terminals 2 and 5. Terminals 1,3 and 6 are not needed on extensions any more.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
MandyShaw

Thank you Keith, I will investigate the Powerline adapters as a transport for my analogue extension.

Can you recommend a source for a BT plug and the necessary tools to fit it, please?

Again thanks

Mandy