Aspiring Contributor
somhairle
Accepted Solution

Text Messaging

I have a BT Synerge 5500 phone and was until recently able to send and receive text messages. The phone is enabled for Caller Display. A couple of weeks ago, the text messaging service stopped - I don't know why. I have contacted BT many times and they have neither fixed the problem or replied to my complaint about their service standards.

I have checked the settings on the phone - the send and receive centre numbers - but they appear OK. There was nothing happened to the line or phone before they stopped working. The only thing that was done was to empty the message box which had become full.

Caller Display continues to work.

Does anyone have any idea what may be happening here?

Community Manager
StephanieG

Re: Text Messaging

Hi somhairle,

If you haven't already, send over your details and we'll look into this for you.

You can find our "Contact us" link by clicking on my username, it's under "About me" (top-left of the page).

Thanks,

Stephanie
BTCare Community Manager

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
somhairle

Details sent, Stephanie.
bfg
Aspiring Expert
bfg

Hi Somhairle,

this is a common problem with the synergy 5500 phone where it looses the inbuilt numbers for the send and or receive numbers.

If you can't send and receive i would guess both have gone, or you have spoken to BT and they have given you the wrong send and or receive numbers.

the mods will prob sort this for you, but if still waiting try the following:

Enter the full send number 147017094009 and the full receive number 08005875290.

(the synergy 5500 has the last two digits of both numbers built into the memery and this fails causing the numbers to be wrong when you try to send a sms and receive sms).

I'm not a betting man, but I'd put money on this sorting alteast part of the problem. If one way works and the other doesnt after checking this, remove the last two digits of the way that doesnt work, i.e. if you can send sms but cant receive sms enter 080058752 for recieve, or reverse if other way around (hope that makes sense).

if this still doesnt work, try ringing 08005875290 from your line and see what happens, you should hear a funny bleepy/chirp sound to say you have got through to bt sms platform. If you dont get tis there is a restriction on your line stopping you connect to the platform and BT will have to fix this for you.

Hope that helps.

Aspiring Contributor
somhairle

Thanks for that. But the numbers did not work. 

The number that I had was 1470P1709400 - with a P but no final 9. I tried your number and my number plus 9 and it makes no difference. I am sure that the number that I have shown is the one in the manual. Actually, I can't remember now if I tried your number without the last 2 digits. I better try that again.

I tried the sms line and got through to a voice telling me that I had reached the BT Text line for more info check their website. So, does that sound as if I have got through to the service you suggest?

bfg
Aspiring Expert
bfg

[ Edited ]

Sorry, sounds like you are copnnecting to teh platform ok. You can ignore the 'P' it was a pause that was required on the old platform (the 1470 is to release your number, as some customers withold there number and you have to provide your number to send an SMS, i guess to avoid nusiance text messages or bill disputes, then a pause to allow the syetem to except the actual platform number).

I thought it was 2 digits stored in the phone but was a while since i had a synergy (i got rid of mine because I was fed up of the errors with it).

If it still doesnt work with the full numbers entered and the numbers from the manual it might not be the memory issue i was facing.

If you have got through to the platform by dialling the number manually it shows your line is able to connect to the platform and should be able to send sms (atleast) as you can't, it could be a fault with the phone (or a fault with the way your line connects to the platform for sms, could be a restriction of some kind, but would only expect that to be an issue with sending, as receiving would not be affected by any restriction).

Can you borrow a phone of someone? It might be worth trying, as the Synergy in my opionon is rubbish! (when I looked into it, it is another model, modified to work for extra features like sms, which is never a good idea).

bfg
Aspiring Expert
bfg

Also meant to ask, do you get any error mesages when trying to send?

It should give one of the following:

Transferring: try turning the phone off for 10-15 minutes (need to disconnect from power and telephone line, the 'turn it off an on again' tends to fix most things).

Message failed: Try ringing 1470 1709 4009, and again listen for a chirps/bleepy sound, then a second or two of silence followed by the NU tone.  If this doesnt work it is a restriction on the line, and mods should pikck this up (from my experince they are very good ;-) 

If none of the above, it could be an broken phone and trying another one would prove this (if available). Another thought, is it just one text enable phone on the line as the BT platforms cant handle multiple sms phones (this is really just a problem with receiving as the platform doesnt know which sms phoen to give the message to).  

Hope this helps, ;-)

Aspiring Contributor
somhairle

Thanks, bfg. I don't get any messages. The phone did handle texts until recently - without bother. When I sent a message, I would get the alert - 'Message Sent' - or something like that.

I do have 2 digital phones on the line handling text and one non-digital. Never had any bother with either. The only thing that I remember before the texting ceased was the alert that the mailbox needed emptying. I did this. But can't remember if there were any texts received after this.

I've also tried all number combinations now - full, -1 and -2. Nothing at all.

I can't really try another phone - unless I purchase one. However, as you don't think much of these phones, would you recommend one in particular
bfg
Aspiring Expert
bfg

[ Edited ]

Hi Somhairle,

If your not getting any erro messagesd i would try the old 'turn it off and on again' first (you should get something telling you why it cant send, so this could be because your phoen thinks it is beign sent ok, either because it is being sent or because the error message part is broken)

It really depends on the budget (you can spend and unbelievable amount of money if you want to!):

I went for the Siemens Gigaset C590 twinset, which I am very happy with:

http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/cordless-phones/multihandset-cordless-phones/siemens-c590-twin-cor...

But I have also heard the Panasonic KX - 7522 is pretty good (only issue I have heard with these is the user manual doesn't provide the sms send and receive numbers so if it goes wrong it would be a trial and error with the full numbers, deleting last digit then the next etc):

http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/cordless-phones/multihandset-answering-machine/panasonic-kxtg-7522...

The above site seems pretty reasonable, but to be honest I cant remember where I got mine from so you might find cheaper elsewhere.

The only risk of just buying a new phone, would be if it is the line causing the problem (you could end up spending £50 plus unnecessarily).

I would really try borrowing one first (check all your mates and family to see if someone will lend you one for a quick test, especially if you decide to go to one of the £200 plus phones!)

Goodluck.

Aspiring Contributor
somhairle

Turned on and off and it now seems to be working! How stupid is that. Received a confirmation that the SMS service was working but that I did not have caller display and that messages would be delivered as voice. So partly resolved.