manutdthereds
Accepted Solution

Trying to find out phone number in new flat

Hi,

My fiancee and I have recently moved into our new flat, sorted out the rest of utilities and now moving on to setting up the internet.  We've found a provider we like, but they need the phone number for the flat to check what kind of service they can offer us.

I called our landlord/estate agent to find this out, and they said to call BT, which I tried, but whenever I think I get close to the right place, they ask for the phone number so they can direct me to the right place.

Is there some way to talk to someone without having to enter it, because its just the number that I need to know.

Thanks for any help 

Aspiring Contributor
Rinansay

Re: Trying to find out phone number in new flat

Maybe you could phone someone who (unlike me!) has caller display that works and find out that way?

manutdthereds

We haven't got a phone in our place !

It was something we'd considered, but we only use our mobiles really, and just wanted a broadband-only connection with the line rental on top.  Good plan but I don't want to have to go and buy a cheap handset just to find out the number !

Guru
Devon_Dave

There will not really be any other way to find out the phone number, how about you just borrow one from a friend or neighbour?

Do you know for certain that you have a working line? I am surprised that your new provider can not contact BT Openreach to find the info out.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Aspiring Expert
Somerled

[ Edited ]

Borrow a phone and dial 17070 (BT line test) on the line you are querying . The number will be automatically read back to you - if it's got an allocated number in the first place.

zappaphillius

The quickest way is to pick up that phone and dial (17070), the BT line test that engineers use or alternatively use the phone and dial a mobile phone in your hand!

You should see the full number plus area code on the mobile phone screen display!

Beginner
optatus

[ Edited ]

if it's a working line, then legally it was the previous owners, meaning you couldn't take it over, unless they might want you to prove that you are the existing homeowner. Plus if the previous owner's have cancelled then the working line could stop at anytime, meaning it would mess up your order to do a like-for-like transfer. If it is stopped, i.e. a dialling tone but can't make calls then all you have do is book an order with whoever you want to go with on the address and not the actual telephone number. The company you go with can check on the openreach system if there is a stopped/working line.