Beginner
rosred

Unrecognised phone number on my bill

Hi.  I'm new to the forums and apologise if there is already a thread about this problem.

I use the phone very little, but have just checked my recent quarter's usage and find two very short calls at 0105 and 0107 (yes - in the small hours!) in the morning of Christmas Day.  These are both to an 0871 number.  Now I know for a fact that I was not at home then as I was at Midnight Service at church.  Is there any way of finding out how these calls happened? 

It's no big deal moneywise - just a few pence each - but I would like very much to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Unrecognised phone number on my bill

Have you tried entering the number into a Google search to see if it gives a clue who it might be?
There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Guru
Devon_Dave

Do you have any other devices connected to your phone line? Like a burglar alarm, a care alarm. There are even devices that can connect now that will order your heating oil when you run low, so it could be something like that. As Keith suggested if you google the number dialled it may give you a clue.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Beginner
rosred

I tried Googling the number but without success.  The only things I can think of are a burglar alarm (and it isn't anything to do with that) and Sky - but I would have thought that it would have come up on Google if it had been anything to do with Sky.  Very weird.  I guess it isn't really worth worrying too much about, but I'm just intrigued.

Guru
Devon_Dave

The sky box does make a call out, normally in the early hours of the morning, but this should be an 0800 number.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Aspiring Expert
reme8488

rosred wrote:

Hi.  I'm new to the forums and apologise if there is already a thread about this problem.

I use the phone very little, but have just checked my recent quarter's usage and find two very short calls at 0105 and 0107 (yes - in the small hours!) in the morning of Christmas Day.  These are both to an 0871 number.  Now I know for a fact that I was not at home then as I was at Midnight Service at church.  Is there any way of finding out how these calls happened? 

It's no big deal moneywise - just a few pence each - but I would like very much to make sure it doesn't happen again.

If you post the numbers it's not too hard to find out if they are commercial phone numbers rosered.

Kind regards... Tom

BT Infinity: 38717kbps down/10000kbps up 547m line length
Lisburn Exchange (NILN)
BT Vision ordered & due to be up & running on 09/08/2011
Beginner
rosred

reme8488 wrote:

If you post the numbers it's not too hard to find out if they are commercial phone numbers rosered.

The number in question is 0871 2005086 (both calls were the same number) - if anyone recognises it, I'd love to know what it is.  Like I said earlier, I tried Google but couldn't find anything obvious.  (I'm no expert so perhaps I've missed something).

Beginner
wanoennogs

When I put the number 0871 2005086 into google I get told it is the number for tracking a UPS parcel?

Beginner
rosred

I see what you mean, but I suspect that it's not a phone number in that context, rather a parcel number.

I can't find any reference to 0871 2005086 otherwise - all the phone number reporting sites don't have any complaints about this particular one.  I'm just so intrigued how two calls of only a few seconds each could possibly be showing on my call usage details at 1.00 in the morning of Christmas Day when I was safely playing the organ at church for the midnight service!!

Sage
john46

May sound silly have you thought of phoning to see who the number belongs too
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’