Beginner
Madwife

Withheld number

Hi, I'm just wondering why my telephone number is now available via 1471 and identifiable on mobile phones etc., when it has always previously been a 'private' number?  I recently signed up for Choose to Refuse...would that have made a difference (it's the only change to my telephone service of late)?

Many thanks.

Contributor
meman887

Re: Withheld number

The phone number is always displayed when you dial a number unless you enter 141 before the number you are trying to call, as 141 withholds your number.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Motto:
Going to kill my HomeHub 2 very soon. :smileyhappy:
Beginner
Madwife

Thanks for the reply. The problem is, my number always used to be automatically withheld from being displayed (just showed up as 'private number') and was withheld from the 1471 service as well, I have never had to enter 141 before dialling... I went ex-directory a number of years ago and requested the permanent withholding facility for my number, I don't appear to have a withheld number anymore and would like to know how to resolve this. I have tried ringing 150 but none of the recorded options seem appropriate to my enquiry.

Guru
Devon_Dave

I would guess that since contacting BT to have choose to refuse somehow they have somehow made your line non witheld.

I suggest you contact the service dept on 0800 800 150 and get them to check your line status for witholding your number.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Beginner
Madwife

Thanks Devon Dave :smileyhappy: I suspected that might be the case. Will certainly ring that number and find out what the craic is!

Contributor
caerdydd

Sorry to correct meman887 but to release your number when it is withheld, you need to prefix the number you're dialling with 1470.

141 is just to withhold your number on specific calls.
graham9026

Same problem, unable to speak to anyone at BT. Does anyone have a solution for switching off 'withheld' without calling BT.

Aspiring Contributor
mikethebike

I can't get my 1571 anymore due to the fact that my "number is witheld" according to the error message from BT when I try to do the 1571!

Beginner
jasperlin

No matter what anybody at BT tells you ( if you can work out how to get through to them!), the permanently withheld number facility no longer works. Anybody dialling 1471 will get your numbers every time.

Aspiring Contributor
toomanyphones

Is this general, and is it recent?  My sister-in-law's number was still being automatically withheld last week.  Drives me mad actually - is there a way of setting up my line to reject withheld number calls?