Misha014

cant make or receive calls

Hi everyone,

My bt phone has been activated yesterday in the morning but I cant make any calls ( I have signal but when I dial the number it says that 'the number you have dialled has not been recognised') and when im trying to phone that number my phone id completely silent and even though my mobile makes that call picking up the headset doesnt answer the call. My broadband from bt also isnt working. Anyone has any ideas or had a problem like that before?? Also when I ring17070 it gives me a completely different number to the one bt gave me.

Thanks
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: cant make or receive calls

Normally you will be given a temporary number, until the correct one is switched over, usually overnight. This can sometimes fail, if the provision job has not been closed.

Give it a few more hours, and then report it to BT. You should be able to ring 150 on the phone.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Misha014

I already spoke to bt and they said its all ok on their end.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

The line test may not show the problem if its a crossed line, as it will see the other line.

You may have to insist on a visit from an Openreach Field Technician, so that they can check the line at your master socket.

I assume that there is only one socket in the house, and no other service providers are involved?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Misha014

There is 8 sockets including 2 master sockets but only on one I have a signal on my phone. No other providers involved.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

There should only be one master socket.

I think you will just have to request a visit, meanwhile if it fixes itself, you can always cancel the visit.

As this appears to be an exchange, or external fault, you should not be charged. My best guess would be an exchange software fault, where the number transfer has failed on the OMC.

Misha014

Could that affect my broadband as well??
Thanks for your help
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

Misha014 wrote:
Could that affect my broadband as well??
Thanks for your help

An exchange fault like I describe, would not affect broadband, however, broadband may not be activated the same day as the phone. A failure to get the correct number on the line, would cause the broadband technician to fail the circuit.

A crossed line would cause broadband issues, but the fact that when you call the number, its unobtainable, would indicate an exchange fault.

Misha014

Broadband has been activated straight after my phone so I might have to call bt regarding that as well
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

I cannot really suggest anything else at this point. Remember, there are thousands of line provides every day, and only a very tiny number fail.