Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

crackling noises on phone line

ive had bt broadband for about a month now and recently started hearing these crackling noises on the phone line i called up and was told to change my filter having done so the problem persisted and i was sent new ones with a new hub but the problem still persisted having called yesterday (11/1/11) to complain i was told that they were going to fix my line from their end after telling me that there was no fault from the test they ran but the problem is still there. i have one main socket downstairs and an extension running upstairs where the filter seperates my phoneline and broadband.

if anyone could tell me how to solve this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Aspiring Expert

Re: crackling noises on phone line

Hi,

Have you tried plugging your phone into the master socket downstairs? This would help eliminate any internal wiring issues as if an engineer visits and the fault is with your equipment, then there is a rather hefty charge.

Kyle

=======================================
If you found my post helpful, please give Kudos on the left!
=======================================
Aspiring Contributor

yh i did that and it works fine but as soon as i put the broadband on then the crackling noises start

Distinguished Sage

If it is not there when your hub is turned off, then try two microfilters in series with the phone. Some phones will still pick up some interference with only one filter in circuit.
There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor

i see so should i place the second filter straight on to the master socket? or on the first filter?

Distinguished Sage

Wherever you normally plug your phone in you should already have one microfilter in the lead. Connect the second one to the phone socket of the first microfilter.
You must leave the hub plugged into the broadband output of the first microfilter as normal.

I am assuming that the phone is connected to the same microfilter as the hub.

In effect, the phone will be filtered twice.
There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor

ive got an extension running from the master socket running upstairs because my hub is in my room and the filter is upstairs so i have another extension running downstairs for the phone im guessing i should filter the extenstion from upstairs.

Distinguished Sage

[ Edited ]

Where does the extension that goes downstairs originate? Does it come from the microfilter by your hub, or does it start at the master socket?
If it originates upstairs from your hub microfilter, and goes downstairs, then I would connect it as close to the phone as possible.

The idea is to have something like this, I am assuming that the bit between 1 and 2, is your extension to downstairs?

twofilter.jpg

Aspiring Contributor

the extension is upstairs yes as i have a extension from the master going up. the hub is connected via filter to the extension going up and so is the extension going down

Distinguished Sage

Sorry, I am totally confused now!

I am assuming that you mean that you have an extension cable run from the master socket to upstairs, with a filter on the upstairs end.

You have your hub connected to the ADSL output of the filter upstairs, and the phone output connected to another extension leading back downstairs, which you have the phone on the end.