Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

ex directory

I recently had my telephone number changed because of unsolicited nuisence calls. I've been ex directory with BT in the past at other locations. How can I become ex directory with my current phone number.

thanks

Contributor

Re: ex directory

Hi Gibson

I believe it should automatically default to what you were before, but best call up customer services on 150 (0800 800 150) to double check.
Guru

gibson971 wrote:

I recently had my telephone number changed because of unsolicited nuisence calls. I've been ex directory with BT in the past at other locations. How can I become ex directory with my current phone number.

thanks

Hi.

Pop along to www.bt.com and click on "The phone book" on the top right. Enter your name and town, search, and it should bring up another display where you can click on Residential name, then click the search box again.

If you've not done it before, also request BT Privacy. This will give you free caller display (needs a relevant phone or other item capable of showing the number) as well as registration to the TPS.

Aspiring Contributor

Thanks for your help guys.

Beginner

Hi, We have always been ex directory but you still the the nuisance phone calls because apparently BT sell people your numbers.

Chelsea

Guru

chelsmarty wrote:

Hi, We have always been ex directory but you still the the nuisance phone calls because apparently BT sell people your numbers.

Chelsea

Hi.

This is not actually true in the general case. Ex directory doesn't guarantee that you will not receive calls from all sorts of people and businesses.

However using the TPS will dramatically reduce cold calling from UK businesses because it's against the law to call someone with on TPS (apart from an existing business relationship).

The TPS will not stop nuisance calls from abroad or "marketing" firms, though saying you are on the TPS typically frightens the UK ones off.

I tried for half a day to go ex-directory - nothing on the website to enable this except a link which, helpfully(?), returned me to the previous page and nothing on the 0800...150 line menu choices either.

I finally found this link http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/345 where you chat to somebody live. The advisor sorted it - no messing.

Wonderful!

Apologies - I should have said that, at the page, choose 'Technical Help'