Aspiring Contributor
tonymac
Accepted Solution

no dial tone but works OK on the test socket

Hi there. A couple of days ago I noticed that there was no dial tone on my home phone and when I dial home I get a 1571 message. Am with BT and BT Broadband and BB works fine. The main socket, installed about six months ago by BT Openreach has the RJ socket on the left for the BB and the right an ADSL jack with ADSL v1.0 written just beneath it.

BT Home hub plugs direct into this master socket and works fine.

I took the front plate off and connected a phone direct to the test socket in the wall and I get  a dial tone and I can ring in. With the front cover off, my BB does not work.

When I replace the cover and put the two screw back in, the BB works but the phone goes dead.
A previous post suggested that the faceplate be replaced and this led to a bit of a  debate between devon dave and another expert, but I cannot locate the post!

There are three wires connected to the front plate, with a few hanging loose but they don't look as if they have ever been connected.

I have the main BT Graphite base station in another room with three other handset off that, so I need extensions.

I have unplugged everything, phones, sky etc, apart from the router but as soon as I put the face plate back on, I lose my phone  line.

Any ideas would be welcome. Do I buy another faceplate? is it likely to be wiring to an extension? Nothing under carpets wires, no movement of them recently that could damage them, so no idea why it has just stopped working.

Thanks in advance,

Guru
Devon_Dave

Re: no dial tone but works OK on the test socket

Hi

Can you just unplug your Homehub (or whatever router you have) from the ADSLv10 front plate, do you get dialtone on your phone? This is just to prove that the HH is not at fault.

In my experience it is not that often that the front plate goes faulty, it is normally the extensions connected to it or something plugged in that are at fault.

You say you have unplugged all apparatus that is plugged in, in that case is sounds like you have an internal cable fault.

A quick question, do you require all the extension phone sockets in the house?

Could you disconnect all the extension sockets? and then plug your graphite phone into the main socket

DD

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Aspiring Contributor
tonymac

Many thanks for the advice Dave.

Will do that shortly and see what happens and get back to you. Off to work now.:-)

so, when I put the front plate on, does that "enable" the extensions and something is shorting it out? Is that what you mean? either a device or the wiring itself?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Have you tried plugging in a microfilter into the test socket, and then plugging the home hub and phone into the microfilter to see if both phone and broadband work?

If they do, then there is something else on your extension wiring that is short circuiting the line, and the home hub is not faulty.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
tonymac

Hi there.

have unplugged the BT homehub and still no dial tone when I plug a phone into the front plate.  So I assume that the home hub is ok.

Have just seen the Keith's advice and off to try that next.

speak soon. 

Aspiring Contributor
tonymac

ok. next step taken.

took the face plate off again and plugged a microfilter stright into the test scocket.

Plugged a phone into the mciro filter and have a dial tone.

Plugged the HHub into the same microfilter and I have a broadband connection...

so am up and running again thanks  to the  advice from you guys.. many thanks.

I have plugged a grpahite base station direct into the test socket via the filter, which allows me to use the other handsets throughout the house.

next job then is to try and track down where the issue is when I put the front plate on again?

So assume that I have a short circuit somewhere because as soon as I put the front plate back on, I lose the dial tone.

are you sure the fault does not lie with the front plate itself?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Its unlikely it the frontplate.  First of all make sure there is nothing else, including Sky boxes, plugged into any of the extensions.

Then replace the faceplate and see if you get dial-tone. If you do, then plug in each device, one at a time, and find out which one is short circuiting the line.

If you stiil get no DT with everything unplugged, then disconnect the wires connected to the removable faceplate and see if you get DT then. If you do, then your extension wiring has been damaged somewhere, perhaps it runs near carpet grippers?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
tonymac

ok,

nothing at all plugged in and and when i put the faceplate back on, no dial tone.

Have put the micro filter back into the test socket so I have BB and phone this evening.

will disconnect the three wires from the faceplate in the morning and see what happens.

Thanks again for your continued support.

Aspiring Contributor
tonymac

well here's the craic.

micorfilter plugged into the test scoket, an home hub and landline both working.

Took all three wires off the faceplate today.

screwed the faceplate back on and and put the microfilter back in to the phone jack, ( which I assume pushes staright into the test socket because they align?) and ...................

no dial tone, no BB.

took the face plate back off and plugged them back into the test scoket an dthey all work.

So, I am stumped. Surely it cannot be an extension?

All phone sockets were installed when the barn was rebuilt, so there are no cables running under carpet etc; they all run within the walls. I never have sky connected and all computers, PS3 and laptops run off wireless.

Surely it must be the face plate?

Sage
john46

it sounds like a faulty face plate on the master
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’