Aspiring Contributor
shelly74

phone problem

I have a problem with my landline phone, which started yesterday. keeping getting ongoing humming sound. My phone rang yesterday and answered but no one there, but it sounded like i was connected. I hung up and went to ring 1471 to find out who it was, but couldnt call out. I rang my brother via my mobile and in turn he rang my landline. the phone rang and i answered but i couldnt hear nothing but my brother could hear me. after about half an hour the phone worked, but still with humming sound. Any one got any ideas what could be causing this? Have a broadband problem aswell but will post that on the right forum.

Guru
toekneem

Re: phone problem

Hi,

If you have a master socket with a split faceplate, try removing the front and connecting the phone to the test socket behind. This will bypass any other socket/extension and will rule out any problem with extensions etc.

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)

Aspiring Contributor
shelly74

Lady on the phone told me to do that, im not touching it, as if mess it up in any way i am the one who has to pay to get it sorted out. I have an engineer coming out on Tuesday. Lady told me that if it is the main bo, then bt pay, if it's the actually phone socket in my house they pay. But if nothing is wrong which there is i pay, is this correct?  My sister had problem with her phone called out engineer who said it was phone socket and wanted £80, she didnt bother and put up with the problem until she switched providers. My mum also called out an engineer as her phone so crackly. engineer came out said it was her phone socket and what £80 , my mum told her she thought it was the echange but he said no. She still having same problem.

Expert
Patty-L

Hi shelly74,

Don't be afraid to try the test socket, I was wary the first and luckily only  time I have had to do it,  you can't do any damage unless you pull and tug at the wires, which there is no need to do.

So as toekneem says try it, and whilst you are there try a different corded working phone in the test socket as well.

If the humming sound is still there it will prove that it is not your wiring, so therefore should be no charge.

Patty_L

Sage
john46

hi by checking the test socket that proves the fault is with BT and there would be no charge however any extensions if a fault is found would be your responsibility to pay for and BT charge is now £130.00 If they come out and the fault is on wiring after the master socket if you just undo the two screws the front plate just slips off if you are careful you can do no damage
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
shelly74

Bt said there is no fault from echange to my bo.. Man told me that there is no charge if wiring inside my phone socket as BT fitted barnd new line it on monday as i have infinty too i dont have to pay?? who right? I took the guy's name any come back then i will put in a complaint. I now have no phone. My phone will ring but cant hear nothing but caller can hear me. I can ring out but as i cant hear anything i dont know if anybody's there but the person i call can hear me.. Now i am resulted to using my mobile which is costing a fourtune, when i have unlimtied call's but cant make any. I had 2 BT men come to my house opn Monday first guy put new line in as i have taken my phone with BT, put new front on my phone socket. 10 minute's later another BT man turned to sort out my infinity. So he took the new front of off socket and put the new infity on. When he went to green echange bo down the road from me to sort out the broadband he couldnt get me connected. It was only then that he realized that BT had given him the wrong line to work on... Getting beyond a joke, as i am still having issue's with my old provider as there new canceled my broadband and calls when they were meant too and to put in a second cancellation. So fustrating and something i dont need...

Expert
Patty-L

Hi shelly74,
You didn't mention on your first post that you had just had Infinity installed last Monday.

Try just plugging in a different phone in the front of the main socket and see if if the fault is the same.
Sage
john46

HI shelly74 do you have infinity or normal bt broadband your post is very unclear do you have the bt home hub on its own or is there an infinity modem "white box with lights and cables on it" connected to the phone socket then connected to the home hub
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
john46

if you have a phone fault you need to phone 0800800151 and report the fault
Aspiring Contributor
shelly74

Sorry about that thought i did, tried a different phone. phone came back some time during the night. i shut doiwn my coputer, hub and openreach and still getting terrible noise on line. dfoes infinty need a filter?