cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

s4c red button to change language

S4c - the Welsh language channel offers commentary in English (via a red button ) for some rugby matches. Since switching to a BT Pro box I can't access it. It was available on my previous box.

The option isn't available for all matches but for the one I am currently watching ( Scarlets v Dragons) it definitely is. I have tried language options in settings on the box but nothing happens. Equally I tried watching via the S4c app to no avail.  Can anyone help?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: s4c red button to change language

Have you an aerial connected to your BT TV Pro Box  or are you viewing the channels including s4C in Ip mode ?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

No aerial connected. I'm watching over Internet which may be the problem.  Some channels are missing ( mostly the +1 channels ) in this mode too. BT says they're not available in this mode but will be in the future. I'm not sure they're that familiar with the S4C issue. 

Thanks 

Hil

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Try this - it works on most set-top-boxes.

On the Box Pro go to 'Language & Subtitles' and set the language to Welsh.

Oddly the result on all other boxes is when S4C broadcasts an English soundtrack - you get the English commentary by selecting Welsh.

If you leave it as English then you get the channel's default (Welsh) audio.

Changing to Welsh will not change any of the other channels away from English.

It should also work on recordings when the alternate English audio is available.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Thanks. During a match on Boxing Day, I spoke to S4c & they suggested that. I tried it during the match but it didn't work. Maybe it needs to have an off/ on on the box. I've left it like that now & I'll see how it works next time. The box will  have bern off & on by then. I'll post & let you know. Thanks again. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

It is only the comnmentary in English - the pre, halftime and post match chat will all be Welsh.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Hi,

Yes, that's right. I used ot regularly on my previous BT box. It's only since I've had the Pro rhat the problem has arisen. 

Thanks 

Hilary 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

given that the Ip mode channel S4C  is a different source to the local transmitter S4C channel that you were presumably using when using the older Youview/BT box the S4c red button may work differently  or not work if not enabled. S4C  help or Youview community  may be a quicker route for getting answer to question.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

If it doesn't work it may be worth doing a temporary switch to the aerial feed.

Will prove if the box itself has a language fault - or it's a IPTV issue.

Either way with those - it is a BT issue.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Another workaround is to listen to the radio commentary on another device though that takes a bit of syncing up between iPlayer and Sounds due to the difference in lags. Watch up until your hear the KO whistle then pause  and mute the TV then play in the radio commentary pressing Play on the TV when you hear the whistle.

0 Ratings