cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Aerial Reception Issue for Freeview channels.

Is it recommended to install an aerial externally rather than in a loft?

I've been having issues with freeview channels, subscription channels are fine as they come from broadband.

I've since hooked up the aerial directly to the TV and the reception is bad with pixelation and channel often vanishes to channel lost.

This would indicate to me that its not a box problem.

Anyone have this problem with loft aerial installation and how was it fixed?
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Aerial Reception Issue for Freeview channels.

If you try the aerial straight into the TV you would soon know if its the box. BT dont do aerial work themselves but can put you in touch with a third party
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

@NextGenGwrote:
If you try the aerial straight into the TV you would soon know if its the box. BT dont do aerial work themselves but can put you in touch with a third party

Thanks for the reply. 

I did say in my op that I'd already tried direct input to the TV. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

@sea2dog There are freeview checks on this link which might help.

If your aerial is faulty you may need professional help with your aerial set-up. The Total Support Group (TSG), is our preferred partner for helping fix problems with aerials. For more information and pricing, go to www.aerialupgrade.co.uk or phone TSG on 0844 826 2055.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

@Neil0
I've been in touch with TSG and also raised a fault with BT.
We originally got the original aerial installed by TSG on 12th September, and had reception issues with freeview channels, arranged another visit from TSG and this time a different guy arrived and decided to replace the aerial with one that was more suitable for lofts, and he didn't perform any tests as far as I know and he left without checking signal strength or possible pixelation.

I've proved its not a box issue so I'm hoping that he'll either realign and check or replace aerial with the original aerial and install it externally.

All this free of charge which BT agree with me.

The third appointment with TSG is next week so I'll report back to say what happened.

Reason I called BT was to get a fault report which I'll pass on to TSG, BT said the next step had I called them first like I did the first time would have been to ask TSG to fix the issue being that I paid BT for the services which I'm not getting because of the aerial and or its installation.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Hi @sea2dog Oh I see that's clearer now, the TSG Aerials are covered by a 12 month warranty. If it was fitted as part of your BT TV service we can raise the fault with them and get someone out to fix any issues.  Post back to let us know how you get on. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Sure. 👍🏻
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

@NeilOwrote:

Hi @sea2dog Oh I see that's clearer now, the TSG Aerials are covered by a 12 month warranty. If it was fitted as part of your BT TV service we can raise the fault with them and get someone out to fix any issues.  Post back to let us know how you get on. 

He tried aligning to different transmitter but didn't help, he said that the original cable needed tidied up, that didn't help either, he left as is, only for when I called them back to complain they said there was a charge, but and this was after TSG told me that I would have the chance to turn down their offer of help if the engineer was to tell me there'd be a charge but the engineer certainly didn't say anything about a charge, yet they are saying now that it was chargeable.

The original aerial that was supplied was replaced by this indoor loft aerial, so I don't even have the original aerial even if I wanted to get my own installer in, and what's more annoying I got no choice to ever have it installed externally in the first place. 

TSG are basically trying to get more money from me even though the aerial is still not correct. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

I am still having intermittent reception dropouts on freeview channels particularly the main 5 channels. 

The aerial was fitted originally by TSG and they fitted one that was suited more for lofts, had it for three years but still have dropouts which can be very frustrating.

The aerial points to Blackhill which is definitely the transmitter for our area. 

Anyone else have this experience? 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

@sea2dog 

Out of interest what signal strength & quality do you get on the 5 main channels?

0 Ratings