Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ney
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 34

Re: Alibi Channel

Go to solution

I have been reading and hearing rumors that the classic entertainment package will though time may no longer be offered to new customers.

Darren

0 Ratings
GarryJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 34

Go to solution

I did manage to get through to a male advisor with BT this morning, just to go through everything when my contract expires, I was told I would have to go to one of the new flexible packages as the MaxHD pack was no longer being offered, did not even mention the classic entertainment pack, the price I was given, including add ons (HD, Extra Box) added up to a much higher price than what I am currently paying, as was the broadband price I was offered, which you also have to renew at the same time(I currently have fibre Halo 2 which I only took out at the start of the year). I did say can I stay with my same package even if it means losing discount, which would still be cheaper than what I was offered, but was told no.  Sure this advisor was just trying to push the NOWTV packs and was getting most of the information he was giving me all wrong! Hope this is not the way BT TV is going as I am happy with my current package and all it offers and was not really looking to go elsewhere

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 34

Go to solution

Well we'll find out at the end of the year @GarryJ , the differing information given by advisers can be staggeringly bad.

I have no doubt that BT will do their best to steer us towards Now TV, but I would have thought that if legacy packages are to be discontinued they would have to give you at least 30 days notice in writing. I would be surprised if they withdraw them, they may try pricing people out. 

4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 34

Go to solution

My contract also comes up for renewal at the end of the year, December 29th to be precise!

What a time of year to be trying to work out whether to renew or move to a new provider!

I've posted lots about the new NowTV packages and what they mean to existing subscribers on BT's MAX HD, or MAX 4K packages.

I've seen a couple of posts in the last few days from BT mods that have described these packages as legacy packages, which I always knew they would become once the new NowTV packages were introduced.

I've seem a few posts from people saying you have the option to stay on your existing MAX HD or MAX 4K packages when you renew.

While this may be happening right now, at some point the contracts BT have with the channel providers for the MAX HD and MAX 4K packages will come to an end.

The Classic Entertainment Pack that is on offer from BT right now is SD only, I know there is much confusion around the HD Boost Option, but is only for AMC and Sports, and NOT the channels listed in the Classic Entertainment Package.

I have lost count at how many posts I have seen on these forums from customers who have taken out one of the new NowTV packages, only to be surprised and angry that they have lost their previous subscription channels.

This indicates to me that BT is clearly not explaining to customers what it means channel wise to move to one of the new NowTV packages, and don't forget, most people won't take the time to post on a forum, so the number of people feeling let down by the new packages must be pretty high.

There has clearly been a wholesale change in BT's content acquisition strategy, moving away from major deals such as the one their struck with UKPlay for their portfolio of HD channels 3? or 5? years ago now, to being a reseller of NowTV's channel portfolio.

I understand why BT done this, but I feel it's an ill judged move, that will in time hurt them.

Going forward, I expect all new channels coming to the BT TV service will come via NowTV.

Just as an end note, anyone that finds themselves like me, facing a contract renewal during December, and are unsure what to do...

If you decide you want to leave BT because they are unable to offer you a package that meets your needs, then trying to get a new Broadband and TV service setup in December is going to be hard, it's Christmas, and often new installs need to be booked a few weeks in advance.

But don't be pressured into taking out a new lengthy contract, you can simple drop out of contract and go monthly... at which point you are on a 30 day contract with BT.

You might lose some TV services and you will without a doubt pay more a month, but it will only be for at most for a couple of months, say into February, in which time your new service provider, say Virgin or Sky will have been able to complete your installation.

However, I hope it doesn't come to that and come 2021 I'm still with BT TV.

I can't imagine BT have entered into a commercial relationship with NowTV without thinking it all through, and they must believe that the new relationship will drive commercial growth for them.

For me, what I really would like to know is where BT TV is now headed. Everyone has different needs, for me, BT TV a few years ago was about innovation, they publicly set out to take on SKY, on ever level possible.

For example...

1. 4K, BT where there before SKY!

2. HDR, via mobile, BT was there before SKY!

3. Dolby Atmos, BT was there before SKY!

4. Virtual viewpoint for football matches, BT where there before SKY!

5. Snatching Sports Rights from SKY!

All of these things happen during a time in BT's history when they decided to take on SKY.

But things have changed, it's clear that BT's strategy is now is to partner with SKY, and become less of an innovator and more of a reseller.

So what does that mean for people like me, and the many other members on this forum who are BT TV vs SKY evangelists?

Well, where is the 4K content, we have to date just two series of Snatch and that's it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is HDR content via the set-top box? Currently Netflix and Prime Video can't be watched in HDR via the BT Box.

What will happen to Sports? I assume BT will not spend big money on sports again, why would they, as BT customers will be able to access future sports via SKY/NowTV...

The absolutely brilliant BT TV App has now been made pretty redundant for those on the NowTV packages.

I could go on and write more, but I feel anyone still reading at this point knows where I'm coming from and probably understands the arguments I'm putting forward.

GarryJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 34

Go to solution

What a brilliant post!  Sums up most of my feelings with BTTV at the moment, which is sad as I have always enjoyed the variety of channels they have provided with the Max packages. I get what you say about the BT TV App as well, plenty of documentaries available there (luckily I enjoy my true crime fix!), but for drama/comedy content, has now become rather poor in comparison to what is available through the NOW TV app, which is probably what BT want us to think at the moment and give in to the new flexible packages, at the end of the day a lot of it for myself will be down to price, will there be any discounts forthcoming for loyal customers who have been with them from the start, as an incentive to take up their new packages?

Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 34

Go to solution

@GarryJwrote:

What a brilliant post!  Sums up most of my feelings with BTTV at the moment, which is sad as I have always enjoyed the variety of channels they have provided with the Max packages. I get what you say about the BT TV App as well, plenty of documentaries available there (luckily I enjoy my true crime fix!), but for drama/comedy content, has now become rather poor in comparison to what is available through the NOW TV app, which is probably what BT want us to think at the moment and give in to the new flexible packages, at the end of the day a lot of it for myself will be down to price, will there be any discounts forthcoming for loyal customers who have been with them from the start, as an incentive to take up their new packages?

I have PM'd you.

0 Ratings
nostra999
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 34

Go to solution

BT are already offering some pretty good savings on the now tv package but it's always going to be limited my the supply cost so I doubt they will ever be as good savings as the old classic tv packages,

ultimately the choice is whether the packages work for you - it's a shame to have lost a few I agree but generally I have gained a lot by switching to it.

0 Ratings
GarryJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 34

Go to solution

I was thinking about something we have all been discussing here, if I wanted to stay the way I am, getting cheaper vouchers to pay for my nowtv rather than getting it through BT, could I change my base package to just the BT sport channels, have HD & extra box as add ons and ditch the entertainment part of it all? Or do you have to have some sort of entertainment pack and the sports channels are only available as a add on?

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 34

Go to solution

It looks like you can just have BT Sport as a monthly pass  but that means it's app  only and not recordable. The price seems a bit steep to me.

What I find frustrating with BT, and particularly BT TV, is the way they deliberately make it as difficult as possible to find out basic information. It's obvious why they do it but it doesn't reflect well on them as a business.

0 Ratings
GarryJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 34

Go to solution

Yes, all very frustrating, every time i do a dummy run of changing my packages, as a base pack, it offers me the NowTV entertainment packs or the BT Sport (including AMC and Boxnation) option, that's why I was wondering if it would be easier to swap over to that and keep my NowTV direct with them rather than going through BT, I cannot see "APP only" mentioned on this change of packages, but if that is what it is, no good for me again!

0 Ratings