Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 98

Re: All Sky channels coming to BT

Whereas the opening two paragraphs state 

"BT today announced a multi-year agency deal for BT to market and sell Sky’s NOW TV service to BT TV customers. NOW TV offers Sky’s most popular content, including Sky Sports, Sky Cinema and the Sky Atlantic channel.

Sky will make the full NOW TV service available on BT TV’s set top box and BT will be able to sell subscriptions to NOW TV’s great passes directly to BT customers".

Now TV passes are Kids, Entertainment, Sport (which are the eleven sports channels you refer to), and Cinema.

The statements so far made are of no use to the consumer as they quite clearly can be interpreted in so many different ways. Any wonder we're all (myself included) in a state of confusion.

The section I've highlighted and the piece you've quoted are almost contradictory, depending on your individual readings of each part of the entire news release. On various fora across the internet confusion also reigns in regard to the statements.

Maybe they don't even know themselves yet what they're agreeing to provide. I'd hate to think BT have only agreed to take the FULL Now TV service as they state above as I'd read that as BT customers coming out of this deal worse off than Sky's own customers.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 22 of 98

Agreed, so ambiguous. Perhaps someone from BT would clarify? Also why from 2019, why not 2018?

Stew

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 98

I think BT's statement is quite clear "BT today announced a multi-year agency deal for BT to market and sell Sky’s NOW TV service to BT TV customers."

It will be Now TV billed to your BT account and accessed through the app. BT customers will effectively be buying the passes from BT rather than Sky, with Sky selling BT Sport direct.

Presumably it starts in 2019 mainly due to sports rights, such as F1  being exclusively live on Sky.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 98

That's how I've been reading it @Andy005. BT only mention Now TV in their statement (as do Sky in theirs) with no mention of any linear channels, unlike Sky who get BT through their epg (as per the statements).

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 98

I do agree though @MadRob that they aren't the clearest of Press Releases, but I suppose when it's at least 12 months away they don't need to be.

What they have made clear is that you will pay BT for Now TV and Sky for BT Sports, so they want to impress on their respective customers that it will be easier for them package wise. I assume that they both realise that it will help increase subscriptions, maybe reduce churn etc.

My guess is that Sky have more to gain, simply because they have a bigger offering.

0 Ratings
andydenyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 98

NowTV is currently displayed at 720p/25fps which, technically, is HD but not full HD (defined as 1080i or 1080p).  I wouldn't say it looks 'dire', as it's definitely an improvement over SD (I did a comparison of Sky Sports in SD on my BT YouView box versus the stream from a NowTV box before cancelling my Sky Sports subscription with BT).  But I do agree that it's not as good as BT Sport in full HD.  As NowTV boxes are actually 1080p compatible, it is possible that they are looking to up the resolution at some point, and maybe in time for the early 2019 launch on YouView - we wait and see! 

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 98

@andydenyer wrote:

NowTV is currently displayed at 720p/25fps which, technically, is HD but not full HD (defined as 1080i or 1080p).  I wouldn't say it looks 'dire', as it's definitely an improvement over SD (I did a comparison of Sky Sports in SD on my BT YouView box versus the stream from a NowTV box before cancelling my Sky Sports subscription with BT).  But I do agree that it's not as good as BT Sport in full HD.  As NowTV boxes are actually 1080p compatible, it is possible that they are looking to up the resolution at some point, and maybe in time for the early 2019 launch on YouView - we wait and see! 

It's also conceivably possible that they may follow US streaming services, (such as Sling, Hulu and DirectTV,) and offer a "cloud" DVR. This would solve the non recordable aspect of the service.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 28 of 98

I really can't understand why if people are desperate for some Sky channels they haven't already got the very cheap 'Now TV' box, or failing that use the app on Chromecast or Apple TV etc.

I don't understand why this deal should be a 'driver' for BT TV any more than say Netflix is, as again the Netflix app is available just about everywhere.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
jbancroft1
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 98

Me too!

I can't see what all this chit-chat is about.

Anyone wanting NowTV, will already have bought a Now tv box for £15 from Sky, and then either paid monthy by direct debit or bought cheaper vouchers on-line for the service.

What's at the hysteria about?

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 30 of 98

I think the point is having just one box instead of multiple boxes. Also one bill and one payment too.
0 Ratings