Did you mean: 
chrisdw
Contributor
Message 71 of 98

Re: All Sky channels coming to BT

@Jim-lad wrote:

@jam2000 wrote:
Try the price for sky and having a dish

But you don't need a dish for Sky, or you won't do very very shortly.  How much do you think the Now TV service will cost?

But you do need a dish right now, and their online service isn't being rolled out any time soon, plus you'll undoubtedly need to take Sky broadband for it.

We already know what Now TV costs, you can get the passes really cheaply. I'm able to get the full BT TV package, Netflix and Now TV for less than I was paying Sky. Plus I got a new box whereas Sky wanted me to keep using one of the old, clunky Sky+HD boxes.

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 72 of 98

2019 at the earliest for the new Sky Q dishless product to reach the UK.

2019 for full Now TV on BT Youview boxes.

As they are talking about Now TV going full hd at the end of the year, and mentioning hd packages for Now TV, one can only assume hd will be a premium option such as it is currently on Sky's satellite service.

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 73 of 98

@Jim-lad wrote:

I don't really understand why people choose BT TV then seemingly can't wait for the Sky Now TV service.  

I'm with you on that one. Now TV is already readily available elsewhere, even via a stick and discount vouchers can be found all over the place. Betcha won't be able to use discount vouchers via BT TV.

0 Ratings
benwiddowson
Expert
Message 74 of 98

Probably not but there will be some incentive for new customers to NowTV I would guess. I’m mostly interested if the 4 device limit will stay for NowTV with youview and if BT then allow you
To have 2 Youview boxes with with the service. For me if then become more useful for our family than sky does
0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 75 of 98

@Keyinferno wrote:

@Jim-lad wrote:

I don't really understand why people choose BT TV then seemingly can't wait for the Sky Now TV service.  

I'm with you on that one. Now TV is already readily available elsewhere, even via a stick and discount vouchers can be found all over the place. Betcha won't be able to use discount vouchers via BT TV.

+1

Surely anyone wanting Now TV already would buy either a Now TV box/stick or upgrade to the new 4k Roku stick.

Like @Keyinferno I can't see there being any discounted vouchers on offer unless Sky allow them to. As BT are only retailing Now TV Sky may pass on the offers to customers here to keep pricing equal across the board. Only time will tell I guess. 

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 76 of 98

@benwiddowson wrote:
Probably not but there will be some incentive for new customers to NowTV I would guess. I’m mostly interested if the 4 device limit will stay for NowTV with youview and if BT then allow you
To have 2 Youview boxes with with the service. For me if then become more useful for our family than sky does

Thats a good point that, Ben. I hadn't considered multi box (or even multi room). As everyone knows, under bt and skys current agreement, sky don't allow multi box with a sky sports subscription. But what about Now TV? Food for thought.

0 Ratings
KernowChris
Expert
Message 77 of 98

I believe the following set up will apply ....

There is a precedent that enables iTunes customers to access the NOW TV service billing via them rather than directly via NOW TV via the website or via Retail Passes. I suspect a similar arrangement will apply for BT. 

BT will be able to retail to their customers at any price and offer this to their contracted customers. I get the feeling that the agreement is a licensed one, so BT is paying Sky to market these channels and bulk buying them. It will be able to charge within reason what they like, or at competitive prices as it says in the BTPLC press release from December ...

BT customers will be able to buy all of this in competitively priced bundles with BT TV.

I expect to see BT Boxes also offering the service in addition to the via BT option above, in the same way as it currently offers NOW TV Cinema. So we'll see an enhanced NOW TV app in the App tray, in addition to the channels offered to those subscribing via BT directly. These customers will have the portability option across devices currently available to NOW TV users. 

The big question will be whether BT Apps will be able to offer contracted customers their NOW TV (via BT) purchased channels, that will be an interesting option if available. 

As for an HD supplement charge, I'd expect this not to happen. It'd be a nightmare for retail customers to have two passes to choose from or being asked to pay a supplement once they've cashed in their pre-pay card. Broadcasters will have to accept that HD is the norm, and this year would seem to be a reasonable one to kill the supplements charged currently altogether. 

0 Ratings
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 78 of 98

And then you woke up? lol

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 79 of 98

Knowledgable and well thought out post @KernowChris

I'd like to think you are right about hd charging but with Sky mentioning 'hd packages', in their financial report, alongside what they have now on Now TV I fear there will be a two tier pricing structure as is currently the case on Sky via satellite where there is the added choice of paying an added premium for hd. I'd expect to see this coming in when Now TV goes full hd near the years end.

0 Ratings
Sundance
Aspiring Contributor
Message 80 of 98

it may or may not be reverent but an interesting article in the news today  sky 

0 Ratings