Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 81 of 98

Re: All Sky channels coming to BT

@robert1997 wrote:

Knowledgable and well thought out post @KernowChris

I'd like to think you are right about hd charging but with Sky mentioning 'hd packages', in their financial report, alongside what they have now on Now TV I fear there will be a two tier pricing structure as is currently the case on Sky via satellite where there is the added choice of paying an added premium for hd. I'd expect to see this coming in when Now TV goes full hd near the years end.

Don't fall for all this HD premium pricing - just shove your chair back a couple of feet and HD becomes indistinguisable from SD, the same applies to 4K.

I have an ATV device and I could easily get NowTV from that source or from the app on my SMART TV.  However, I had Sky for over a decade and I'm now 'smart enough' not to get sucked into their business model again.

robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 82 of 98

Don't fall for all this HD premium pricing - just shove your chair back a couple of feet and HD becomes indistinguisable from SD, the same applies to 4K.

I have a top of the range 4k tv at home and I'm not going to ruin my viewing experience by not sitting close enough to enjoy it. You'd be amazed how many people just buy a tv, plug it in without setting it up for maximum picture quality, and then sit so far away from it they aren't even getting the full benefit of the set they've just shelled out their hard earned cash on. 

I had Sky for over a decade and I'm now 'smart enough' not to get sucked into their business model again.

100% agree with you on that one. I got shot of them a few years ago and haven't looked back. I hardly watch pay tv now and when my BT TV contract is up I'll be shot of pay tv for good. I mainly use my retail YV box now alongside a Freesat pvr.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 83 of 98

@robert1997 wrote:

I have a top of the range 4k tv at home and I'm not going to ruin my viewing experience by not sitting close enough to enjoy it. You'd be amazed how many people just buy a tv, plug it in without setting it up for maximum picture quality, and then sit so far away from it they aren't even getting the full benefit of the set they've just shelled out their hard earned cash on. 

I had Sky for over a decade and I'm now 'smart enough' not to get sucked into their business model again.

100% agree with you on that one. I got shot of them a few years ago and haven't looked back. I hardly watch pay tv now and when my BT TV contract is up I'll be shot of pay tv for good. I mainly use my retail YV box now alongside a Freesat pvr.

Yep that's me!  I've just bought a brand new 4K TV (mainly because they are all 4K now) and I doubt I will ever bother with 4K material, simply due to the fact that in order to get the benefit I need to be sat no more than 5 feet from the screen.  Ridiculous distance if you ask me, all that would do for me and the wife is give us a banging headache.

We are quite happy sitting around 12 feet from the TV which nullifies any benefit either with 4K or HD hence why for the most part we stick with SD.  For us it's just 'telly'. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 84 of 98

As is your right @Jim-lad

You're not alone by the way. My wife wouldn't even notice the difference anyway were she sat an inch in front of the screen. To her it's just 'telly' too Smiley Very Happy She says I'm a bit obsessive about these things. Methinks she's probably right Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 85 of 98

HD picture quality has been on the decline ever since I've had it, to the point where there isn't much difference with SD/HD on BBC1 for example. I'm not sure that 4k is going to much of an impact.

0 Ratings
Sundance
Aspiring Contributor
Message 86 of 98

How true. Or maybe we're just taking it for granted now... 

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 87 of 98

I remember when I had Sky many moons ago and hd was becoming the 'new' thing the picture quality on their sd channels was 'deliberately' degraded. I've a feeling hd is getting the same treatment from broadcasters/providers as a way to big up uhd as it reaches a deeper phase of testing and availability.

With the correct set up etc uhd looks amazing and there shouldn't be any need to reduce hd broadcast quality to try to prove it. 

0 Ratings
Sundance
Aspiring Contributor
Message 88 of 98

wow, ya cats rock me, there is so much TV to see or buy these days its kinda hard to decide where one goes. 

however I've been with BT for a while and they give me a  pretty kool deal on infinaty and  TV. also i have amazon & Nettfix

the point Im trying to make is this.... I think we are at the Golden Age of home TV , it only gets better from here.. 

prices will come down, its a buyers market and the main thing is bt will have to stop charging us for a landline.( eventually when we do become complete fiber)  having said that i have no  complaints  about bt.. hey, just my opinion...

0 Ratings
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 89 of 98

I don't see prices coming down anytime soon for anything other than for "no frills" services such as those provided by PlusNet and for new entrants trying to buy market share as Vodafone is doing with its broadband offering. The cost of sports rights continuing to rise, with new entrants like Amazon, will ensure that.

0 Ratings
MJH62
Aspiring Expert
Message 90 of 98

@robert1997 wrote:

As an owner of a 55" "high end" UHD TV, I'm totally underwhelmed to be honest. Yes, it is clearer and more detailed but not to the extent that it is hyped up to be. I agree with Jim Lad that from a sensible viewing distance, the difference between UHD and HD is marginal and you quickly forget about it once you are focused on watching the actual programme.

In my opinion, once you start thinking how wonderful the picture is, you are not really watching anyway. As for setting up a TV "properly", then its classic "emperor's new clothes". Again, that's just my opinion and good luck to those who think otherwise.

0 Ratings