Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dippu
Expert
Message 1 of 10

BT Film Store- Early Home Premiers

Go to solution

Is BT profiteering from Coronavirus? Having to stay at home we thought of renting a movie but noticed £15.99 rental on some early release movies. E.g Emma. But there are others.

This is a total rip-off and BT should be ashamed in my opinion and is taking advantage of the the Coronavirus outbreak when people are being asked to stay at home.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
nostra999
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Film Store- Early Home Premiers

Go to solution

It’s the same across all platforms - not a bt thing. I think the film studios are trying to recoup similar to cinema profits from each purchase.

0 Ratings
TALON1973
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

@Dippu  Look at it this way.... unless you are single , you’d spend ALOT more going to the actual cinema. Being single I won’t be paying these prices but some will. 

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

That’s a good point. But why not buy the movie rather than rent for £15.99? This would seem more reasonable.

0 Ratings
TALON1973
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@Dippu Well technically they are cinema releases. So you’d wait for them to become available digitally / on disc

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@Dippuwrote:

Is BT profiteering from Coronavirus?

The prices were the same before the outbreak as now.

You might want to look up the definition of profiteering Here :
Profiteering : the act of taking advantage of a situation in order to make a profit, usually by charging high prices for things people need.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@-Richie-  I know what it means and would not have used the word unless I was concerned.  Please don’t try to be condescending and treat others like idiots and also I was not aware of previous prices.

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

No one can go to the cinema currently so this is a way for people to see some of the movies that would have been showing if they want. 

It is the same price and movie offering via BT, Sky, Prime Video and iTunes.

In 3 - 6 months time following what would have been the cinema release window, you will be able to rent and buy these films at the normal price if so desired.

I believe they have priced these movies at around the approx. cost of 2 standard adult cinema tickets (excluding discounts like Vitality or Cineworld monthly passes).

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@Dippu 

This is how one of the US media sites reported the move by Universal Pictures

Since you can’t go to the movies, Hollywood is scrambling to figure out how to bring its movies to you, even if it means upending deeply entrenched business models. With theaters across the globe shut down due to the coronavirus pandemic, Universal Pictures will be among the first to jump into the breach, taking the unprecedented step of making three of its current releases available for at-home viewing starting March 20.

The Elisabeth Moss horror film “The Invisible Man,” the satirical thriller “The Hunt” and Focus Features’ period dramedy “Emma” will all be available to watch on a wide variety of on-demand platforms starting Friday, at a suggested price of $19.99 for a 48-hour viewing window.

For the Uk market a price of £15.99 for a 48 hour window appears to price for those 3 movies

0 Ratings
Dippu
Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks guys, I was not aware of this evolving situation and now understand the reasonings. Cheers.