Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
fair_hunk
Message 1 of 21

BT Sport Contract Auto Renewal - No Notifications

Hi all

I was coming to the end of my BT contract(phone+ Broadband) at the end of this month(Oct). When trying to cancel the contract, I was told that I had to pay 120 pounds because, my contract has auto-renewed for another 12 months when taking the so called "FREE BT SPORT" few months back.

I happily signed for the free sports but didn't know that my contract would have extended without giving me enough warning or notification about it. 
I am not happy about paying extra 120 when my contract was due to finish this month. I told BT that I don't need BT Sports and wasn't aware of the contract renewal. The person on the other end seems to be irrogant and won't listen. 

Has this happened to anyone else ? 
I feel like being cheated and forced to renew the contract ..

Thanks

Narayan

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT Sport Contract Auto Renewal - No Notifications

Welcome to the forum. How have you been watching BT Sport? It's a condition of taking it free on BTTV or Sky that you have at least 12 months to go on your BT broadband contract. If you watch only on the internet that doesn't apply. See the first question here.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 21

It will have happened to everybody who had less than 12 months remaining on their contract.  It was a condition of the BT Sport free offer that you had to agree to a minimum 12 month contract.  That was in the small print of all the adverts and on the web site

0 Ratings
Celtichorse
Message 4 of 21

The same has happened to me and fortunately I have the advert and there is no clear mention of the contract extension. Was so angry when they had told me what they had done. I have made a complaint so hopefully they will resolve it. 

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 21

It was in the small print of all the adverts I saw, and is in the legal stuff on the website when signing up.
0 Ratings
blackfish
Message 6 of 21

A similar thing has happened to me,I thought it just meant you had to renew your broadband contract with BT .What they did not say was that your monthly payments went up because it is classed as new contract.My payment has gone up to £15 from £9 so I am effectively Paying £6 for my "free sports channel "I have phoned them but no joy as I apparently ticked a box agreeing to this when I ordered it on line

0 Ratings
xdragon
Beginner
Message 7 of 21

Yeah I've had the exact same issue. Had they clearly stated during the phone call I'd have been tied into a new 12 month FULL PRICE contract, I'd have never gone through with it. Very sneaky and underhanded.

From BT's point of view though, it's a good way to get rid of customers once their contracts do eventually run out. I can never trust a company who operates like this again. Awful way to treat it's customers.

Basically, unless you LOVE football, BT broadband is a terrible deal. Your just paying a big premium to cover the cost of their 'free' sports channels.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 21

It says this in the "Legal Stuff"

Broadband Special Offers – If you've got a broadband special offer, you'll keep it on the same terms you originally agreed to – including when it ends. The basic price of BT broadband stays the same: and that's what you'll pay when any special offer stops.

--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 21

Interesting thread.

I renewed my contract in Oct to include BT Sport, it was done over the phone and as always with BT I recorded the conversation. I specifically stated that I do not want a rolling contract and after 12 months I can cancel at anytime without penalty.

This was agreed to.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 21

You don't actually have to specify that you don't want your 12-month contract renewed on expiry as Ofcom prohibits auto-renewal. You will get a rolling contract though in the sense that if you do nothing your services continue on a monthly basis (you still have to give up to 30 days notice). But if you don't go for a minimum of at least 12 months more, the monthly cost is likely to be higher.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings