cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 26

Re: BT Sport DTT - Channels 57, 58, 59

It doesn't change anything really. The new channels are encrypted Freeview channels (though 57 is an advert at present) and may be picked up by any TV, but decryption depends on your services. You won't be able to get BT Sport via the aerial without BTTV, though you will be able to view it on a TV set with a suitable connection to a computer.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
MartinH
Expert
Message 12 of 26

@OwenoWent wrote:
So, I'm a bit confused. I'm interested in getting BT Sport, but planned on just using my Infinity subscription to watch on iPads, iPhones and computers. But this morning, my Panasonic TV prompted me to retune and the above mentioned BT Sport channels have appeared on my planner - this changes everything!! I have no interest in upgrading to BT Vision or BT TV, but if I could pay a one-off fee to watch BT Sport through my aerial, then that would interest me!

The channels are listed as encrypted at the moment, so I guess I'd need a common interface card of some sort, but haven't heard BT flogging these. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

You would need to be a BT Vision subscriber (and, I thnk, in a non-infinity area) to get the channels via DTT. 

You won't be able to buy a CAM or card to receive them on your TV.

OwenoWent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 26

Ok. So long as I know. Thanks.
0 Ratings
michael21
Contributor
Message 14 of 26

Have a look at LCN 57 it has lot of information on it 24/7 and is free to air .

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Haribo
Contributor
Message 15 of 26

@OwenoWent wrote:
So, I'm a bit confused. I'm interested in getting BT Sport, but planned on just using my Infinity subscription to watch on iPads, iPhones and computers. But this morning, my Panasonic TV prompted me to retune and the above mentioned BT Sport channels have appeared on my planner - this changes everything!! I have no interest in upgrading to BT Vision or BT TV, but if I could pay a one-off fee to watch BT Sport through my aerial, then that would interest me!

The channels are listed as encrypted at the moment, so I guess I'd need a common interface card of some sort, but haven't heard BT flogging these. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I think that would interest many people, including all the ones who are losing their TUTV service. But I think BT are so determined to get BB subscriptions that they won't do it.

The encryption certainly isn't a problem as ESPN was on there.

I suppose it would only be a relatively small revenue stream compared to others but it seems such a waste when 11million homes have freeview as their main TV provider.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 26

@tellboy wrote:
However, I never removed my card and now in addition to the above I can receive 57, 58 & 59 via. my aerial.

I wonder if this will always be the case or if at some time they will be blocked?

tellboy,

Can you actually view content on 58 and 59? Since you are now using the multicast software I wouldn't expect the software to be even accessing the viewing card information. We can all view content on 57 as BT are currently just using it unscrambled to advertise BT Sport.

I moved over to Infinity multicast for the sport channels and at one point when trying to get the multicast software installed my viewing card had the previous entitlements wiped from it. I now don't even have it in the box anymore as it serves no purpose (or so I thought Smiley LOL ).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 26

@Haribo wrote:
I think that would interest many people, including all the ones who are losing their TUTV service. But I think BT are so determined to get BB subscriptions that they won't do it.

Could BT in theory give the viewing card entitlement free to just customers who have BT broadband and still let the card be used in TV's directly? That would still increase BT phone/broadband sales (just not BTTV sales). Is it a problem of lack of control over where that card could then be used? I'm not familiar with how the pairing works in that situation. Can the card be tied to a particular CAM slot? Even if it could be, what is to stop a landlord nominating the main TV in his pub as the one he ties his home broadband ordered viewing card to?

With the BT box and BTTV subscription method the entitlement is easily restricted to just one box and one phone line (so just one location). BT have total control.

And for the pub service I believe they are using the existing Sky satellite box/card system that is already present in lots of pubs and clubs.

0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 26

@umpire wrote:

@tellboy wrote:
However, I never removed my card and now in addition to the above I can receive 57, 58 & 59 via. my aerial.

I wonder if this will always be the case or if at some time they will be blocked?

tellboy,

Can you actually view content on 58 and 59? Since you are now using the multicast software I wouldn't expect the software to be even accessing the viewing card information. We can all view content on 57 as BT are currently just using it unscrambled to advertise BT Sport.

I moved over to Infinity multicast for the sport channels and at one point when trying to get the multicast software installed my viewing card had the previous entitlements wiped from it. I now don't even have it in the box anymore as it serves no purpose (or so I thought Smiley LOL ).

Sorry, I have Infinity and can view the BTSports channels in the 900's although I have not yet subscribed. Just adverts.

I am awaiting my faulty line issue to be sorted before I subscribe.

I have left my card in the box and can view the adverts on 57.

58 & 59 just display a black screen and the info bar just says BTS coming soon. 

I have not taken my card out to see if I still get 57 to view.

All the best

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 26

tellboy wrote:

I have left my card in the box and can view the adverts on 57.

58 & 59 just display a black screen and the info bar just says BTS coming soon.

I've taken the card out and get exactly the same. The card has no function now except for those due to get BT Sport through the aerial.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 26

@pottyperson wrote:

I've taken the card out and get exactly the same. The card has no function now except for those due to get BT Sport through the aerial.

I'll leave it in for now to see if I can view the channels when BT start actually broadcasting BTSport over freeview.

I suppose that is the real test?

I presume they have 57 unlocked as a teaser and 58 & 59 not broadcasting.

All the best

0 Ratings