Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michael21
Contributor
Message 21 of 26

Re: BT Sport DTT - Channels 57, 58, 59

2 point i want to make

1 58 & 59 cant broadcast any thing for the simple reason that BT sports 1 & 2 have not launch yet.

2. i have freeview SD and can get all 3 channel on my EPG and can view channel 57 i just have nomal freeview not even HD and can get channel 57 no need for a card.

They may put free weekend on to try and get new pepole to sign up.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 26

michael21 wrote:

2 point i want to make

1 58 & 59 cant broadcast any thing for the simple reason that BT sports 1 & 2 have not launch yet.

BT Sport 1 & 2 are up and running 24/7 on the multicast system (channels 943 - 946). Obviously they haven't formally launched yet, but they have been transmitting promotional videos for many weeks now. That is what you are seeing on Freeview channel 57. If you look carefully you will see the BT Sport 2 logo in the corner. It's an exact copy of what is currently transmitting on multicast channel 944.   

The question we were asking is whether anybody can view the promotional stuff on 58 and 59 yet. At some point people will start getting viewing cards activated to decrypt those two channels.

2. i have freeview SD and can get all 3 channel on my EPG and can view channel 57 i just have nomal freeview not even HD and can get channel 57 no need for a card. They may put free weekend on to try and get new pepole to sign up.

Yes, the question is why BT bothered setting up this extra channel 57 at all? It would seem to be a very expensive way to advertise their two new sports channels. Possibly it is just for test purposes and will disappear after Aug 1st? ESPN did free weekends without the need for an extra channel. They just turned off the encryption on 34 for a weekend. I suppose another possibility is that it could be for some sort of future interactive service?

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 23 of 26

I don't see any BT Sports channels on my YouView box and I have Infinity 2 and also BT Vision player unlimited.

I do see the channels on my LG 22inch LCD in my bedroom.

Darren

0 Ratings
ukfrogman
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 26

@ney wrote:

I don't see any BT Sports channels on my YouView box and I have Infinity 2 and also BT Vision player unlimited.

I do see the channels on my LG 22inch LCD in my bedroom.

Darren

This is being discussed in the YouView forum in this thread,

http://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/YouView-app-now-showing-BT-sport/td-p/910798

I see the channels on my TV but not on the YouView box, it seems there is another software update being rolled out.

Regards,

Frogman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 25 of 26

There is a comment on this UKFreeTV page that suggests the new BT Sport DTT channels will be the first UK Freeview DVB-T SD channels to use the more efficient MPEG-4 compression. I think currently MPEG-4 is only used for Freeview HD channels on the DVB-T2 multiplex. If true, this might explain how they could replace 2 channels with 3 channels without needing extra bandwidth? 

It still doesn't tell us what channel 57 would actually be used for though (assuming of course it doesn't just disappear at the end of July). 

0 Ratings
michael21
Contributor
Message 26 of 26

What does the above post mean in oplan English please. 

0 Ratings