cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roscotia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

BT Sport and Powerline Adapters

My old silver Vision box did not support the new sports channels so I upgraded to a new one which has just been delivered.  Unfortunately I see from the user guide that I cannot use my existing powerlines to get these channels and must instead connect with the ethernet cable.  Only problem is that my home hub and computer are in a different room from my TV and the cable is not long enough to reach.  Any suggestions gratefully received.  There was nothing wrong with my old Vision box and I only upgraded to get BT Sport!

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
bonsai
Contributor
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT Sport and Powerline Adapters

It's worth a try with the PLAs. They may work but no guarantees so BT does not officially support their use.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

there is nothing wrong using the PLA just if you have reception problems BT do not support using PLA

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
roscotia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Tahnks to you and Bonsai for the advice.  I've tried using the PLAs.  I can view most of the channels but not BT Sport and I can't access catch up either.  Still searching for a solutioin.

0 Ratings
scamartist
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

My current setup uses the powerline adapters but I cant receive BT Sport but get all the other on demand without issue.

This setup was already in place for high definition streaming of 1080p high bitrate media.

So I know the network setup should be able to stream the relatively low bitrate BT Sport streams.

If it was an issue with the powerline adapters it would still attempt to stream and then error if the bitrate couldn't be sustained.

0 Ratings
keithn
Contributor
Message 6 of 19

This may be a silly question but will it work the other way round?

If you have the Home Hub in the same room as the TV (if you have a phone point there), will the power adapters then connect it to the computer?

0 Ratings
sandiford
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

I believe you need to connect your hub to your vision box with an ethernet cable to watch extra channels including sport.

If its difficult to do with your set up BT will do it for £35.

I await with patience for an engineer to arrive at my door ??

Hope this helps.

Jeff

0 Ratings
roscotia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Thanks for all the replies.  There is no phone point in my lliving room where my TV is hence my previous use of PLAs.  The 10 metre ethernet cable supplied with the new vision box does just stretch from my home office where the hub is to the vision box in the living room so I know everything works. But it is not practical to have this exposed cable snaking across the floor of 2 rooms and a hallway.  I phoned tech assistance who said that even if a longer cable were available that I could arrange around skirting board or under carpets, the signal would be affected by the extra length of cable required.  I asked about getting an engineer in to move the home hub or advise about cabling.  I was told it would cost £99 and I would need to contact BT locally to arrange that as they could not order it for me.  Is your problem similar to mine? how did you arrange engineer visit?

0 Ratings
bonsai
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Cat 5 ethernet cable should be fine up to 100metres so there should be no concerns on that front!

0 Ratings
tvwatcher
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 19

roscotia, one thought are you sure you have the BT sport subscription, as if you are saying you can see catch up but not the BT sport channel that makes me think you should check subscription. one way is to log into your billing on bt.com it should say if you are set up for sport
0 Ratings