cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: BT Sport continues to be free for second 2014-15 season

It is mainly the commentary, Julian Ryder is an arrogant brit obsessed fool, his comments about Pol Espargaro (last year too) have made me so mad at times I wanted to throw things at the TV (not a good idea, as I might break my tv), he is entitled to his own opinion, and I get it, he is a "fan" of a riders passport and not their riding ability, but seriously the ten minute conversation he had in Qatar with Keith about what Bradley Smith has for breakfast was pathetic. Keith doesn't have a clue what he is talking about, and can not tell a Motorbike rider from a teapot, even when their name is on the screen. Did you know during the race, Keith told us Marc Marquez was 21 years old... SIX TIMES... Do Julian and him really think the public are so stupid they need constant reminders about how old the riders are, and do they really think the vast majority of us care??

Loving Gavin Emmett though, he should replace Keith as the main commentator as he is wasted as a pitlane reporter. As for Julian, my cat would be an improvement. 

James needs presenting lessons, he is so stiff and wooden, I love his music and maybe he should just stick to that instead. Mel Sykes was hired... God knows why... 

Watching the coverage from Jerez, why was Neil Hodsgons lap of the cicuit repeated three times?? 

I thought I remembered seeing something about every session being shown live, so why isn't warm up shown?? 

SUPPORT WHO YOU WANT TOO, NOT WHO YOU'RE TOLD TOO.
0 Ratings
col_H
Beginner
Message 12 of 18

Free for a second season, but £3 a month for HD!

We should be grateful they're not charging us for showing in colour!  C'mon BT, it's 2014, HD should be standard now!

0 Ratings
MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 18

@col_H wrote:

Free for a second season, but £3 a month for HD!

We should be grateful they're not charging us for showing in colour!  C'mon BT, it's 2014, HD should be standard now!

HD is a premium product on all platforms - Sky charge more for HD and Virgin Media charge more for Sky's Movie and Sports channels in HD.

As for BT Sport, it was always £3 for the HD version, it's just that those who registered before a certain date got it for free for 12 months. That was widely and clearly explained at the time the channel launched.

col_H
Beginner
Message 14 of 18

The point I'm trying to make is that HD should not be viewed as a premium add-on any more.  Maybe early days when it was new.  

I paid £10 a month for SkyHD when it was only Sky Movies HD, Sky Sports 1HD and BBC HD in 2006, so I am an early(ish) adopter.

However, it's now 2014.  HD content should now be the norm, but is being used to artifically bump up the prices of products.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 18

Its a reasonable point but unfortunately HD version of channels is a selling point between systems (some tv platforms don't actually give a proper HD option at all so therefore it is still not a standard product).

Therefore where there are two versions available the premium version is always likely to cost, just fact of life unfortunately.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 18

It's an interesting question.

We are all generally always trying to move along onto improved technologies such as HD. Ofcom are keen to encourage the take up of DVB-T2 enabled equipment for receiving DTT transmissions. This would enable transmitters to eventually use just the more efficient DVB-T2 which also allows HD and complete what is loosely termed the "HD switch-over". Organisations such as the BBC and other public broadcasters making HD channels easily available (usually at no extra cost) means customers become accustomed to HD being the norm and will no longer consider buying SD-only equipment. Youview is a good example of newer technology with DVB-T2 and hence DTT HD capability built-in. The additional BT HD channels over multicast (or those over Sky satellite or Virgin cable) are also now offering even more HD choice and helping with this general slow move towards making HD the norm.

But they still have to consider cost. Whether you like it or not, for the time being at least, HD channels cost more to transmit than equivalent SD ones. This is true regardless of platform due to the increased bandwidth they require. So the providers have two choices.

(a)  Include the additional cost of HD in the overall equation and then just share out the cost evenly across all customers. This is the approach the BBC generally takes.

(b)  Charge customers appropriately for the services they actually use. Those who watch in HD pay a bit more to cover the additional costs. This is the model BT, Sky, Virgin (as more HD comes as standard with the higher cost packages) use. It's the fairest way of doing it but not the simplest.

One simple example might be:

Should BT make the TV Entertainment package say just £8.50 for everybody or keep it at £7 for those only receiving SD and £10 for the lucky ones also receiving HD? The money has to come from somewhere.

Whether certain providers are charging more for HD than it actually costs them is a totally different matter of course. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 18

@umpire wrote:
HD channels cost more to transmit than equivalent SD ones. This is true regardless of platform due to the increased bandwidth they require.

...  and as things stand they have to simulcast both the SD and more expensive HD versions to keep all customers happy. Once everybody has moved onto HD capable equipment they could in theory save some costs by turning off the SD versions, but I suspect that is a long way off.

Another way of keeping additional costs down would be to reduce the overall number of channels as things move to HD, but in general customers want/expect more choice not less and I doubt any provider would seriously consider doing that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 18

@umpire wrote:

http://www.broadband.bt.com/espresso/4_generic/

It says if you are a BT Broadband customer watching on Sky you'll have to renew your broadband for another 12 months to get the free offer again. As expected really.

However, it says those watching on BT TV don't have to renew their broadband to get the free offer again. That contradicts what my original order doc said back in May 2013. So after considering things BT seem to have had a change of mind on that. Good news for BT TV customers who to be fair are much less likely to change broadband provider anyway as BT TV requires BT Broadband.

If you look in the BT Sport terms and conditions at paragraphs 42 - 47 it now talks about three rates. The full discounted rate, the loyalty discounted rate, and the full price.

Here is a post about a loyalty discounted rate of £6.75 for BT Sport (not sure if on Sky or BT TV in that case).

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BY-Sport-will-no-longer-be-free-for-BT-Broadband-customer...

My question is this. If that other BT page is saying that, unlike Sky box customers, BT TV box customers don't need to commit to BT broadband for another 12 months in order to get the free BT Sport next season, does that mean the loyalty discount rate is set at £0 for BT TV boxes and £6.75 for Sky boxes?

0 Ratings