Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ronthebodge
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT Sport on Freesat????

Go to solution

I am an Infinity customer with a Freesat box, and decided that I would apply for (FREE) BT Sport, When applying I was informed that as I didn't have either Sky or Freeserve it would not be free, I would need to purchase a BT box @£49 and pay a monthly subscription of £5 per month,  so for me and every other Freesat owner which part of this is FREE???? I think this is most unfair and should have been sorted out before offering this so called (FREE) service.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Haribo
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Sport on Freesat????

Go to solution

@ronthebodge wrote:

I am an Infinity customer with a Freesat box, and decided that I would apply for (FREE)@ BT Sport, When applying I was informed that as I didn't have either Sky or Freeserve it would not be free, I would need to purchase a BT box @£49 and pay a monthly subscription of £5 per month,  so for me and every other Freesat owner which part of this is FREE???? I think this is most unfair and should have been sorted out before offering this so called (FREE) service.

Yes it is a bit galling that £49 charge. 

You do have options though. You can watch it on laptops, tablets etc completely free and can connect them to your TV.

If you have a dish you can get a used sky box with no subscription and use that.

Personally, I don't see why they couldn't let you use CAMs in your TV or freeview box.

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

@ronthebodge wrote:

I am an Infinity customer with a Freesat box, and decided that I would apply for (FREE)@ BT Sport, When applying I was informed that as I didn't have either Sky or Freeserve it would not be free, I would need to purchase a BT box @£49 and pay a monthly subscription of £5 per month,  so for me and every other Freesat owner which part of this is FREE???? I think this is most unfair and should have been sorted out before offering this so called (FREE) service.

Everyone gets free acces via PC. Mac, tablet and smartphone. If you want it on a TV you need a compatibe box either a BT Vision, a YouView from BT or retail YouView or Sky.

So the part that's free for you is the acces via PC. Mac, tablet and smartphone. 

0 Ratings
Haribo
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@MartinH wrote:

@ronthebodge wrote:

Everyone gets free acces via PC. Mac, tablet and smartphone. If you want it on a TV you need a compatibe box either a BT Vision, a YouView from BT or retail YouView or Sky.

So the part that's fee for you is the acces via PC. Mac, tablet and smartphone. 

Yes, I meant to add that the £49 plus £5 per month is really a hardware fee for the box, although BT may not admit to that.

The service itself is free. And can be accessed free in a few ways with the right hardware.

I still think Bt missed an opportunity by not supplying the channels on ordinary freeview TVs with a CI slot. Imagine how many customers might be interested in that, especially with TUTV gone.

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@Haribo wrote:

@MartinH wrote:

@ronthebodge wrote:

Yes, I meant to add that the £49 plus £5 per month is really a hardware fee for the box, although BT may not admit to that.

The service itself is free. And can be accessed free in a few ways with the right hardware.

I still think Bt missed an opportunity by not supplying the channels on ordinary freeview TVs with a CI slot. Imagine how many customers might be interested in that, especially with TUTV gone.

Why would they add the costs of cards, CAMs and risk of being hacked to their overheads?

0 Ratings
Haribo
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@MartinH wrote:

@Haribo wrote:

@MartinH wrote:

@ronthebodge wrote:

Why would they add the costs of cards, CAMs and risk of being hacked to their overheads?

Oh sorry. I thought BT were a business that were trying to get as many customers as possible and maximise profits. My mistake.

ESPN and setanta were never hacked on DTT cards.

BT have a ready made market there of people who just want to add sport to freeview. There were apparently 400,000 people receiving some kind of TUTV service and we know TUTV are closing down.

I would think the costs of cards and CAMs might be worth it.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@Haribo wrote:

@MartinH wrote:

@Haribo wrote:

@MartinH wrote:

@ronthebodge wrote:

Oh sorry. I thought BT were a business that were trying to get as many customers as possible and maximise profits. My mistake.

BT have a ready made market there of people who just want to add sport to freeview. There were apparently 400,000 people receiving some kind of TUTV service and we know TUTV are closing down.

There are obviously things that we don't know about then, because if it was that easy for BT to do and make money from, they would do it.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Another one of those posts that go on and on based on assumptions - is there a common denominator in all of this???

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Haribo
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@drhowells wrote:

@Haribo wrote:

@MartinH wrote:

@Haribo wrote:

@MartinH wrote:

@ronthebodge wrote:

There are obviously things that we don't know about then, because if it was that easy for BT to do and make money from, they would do it.

Perhaps BT figures that the more they made it readily available to buy it would defeat the object of trying to get people to sign up to BB.  We will probably never know. I was just saying there would be a big audience for it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

drhowells wrote:

True, but some people think running a Footsie 100 company is a doddle, like running a sweetshop.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings