cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MartinH
Expert
Message 31 of 43

Re: BT Sport on Youview ........ For some only?

Good news, has been announced that BT Sports WILL be made availabe to retail box owners who also have Infinity  

https://twitter.com/YouView/status/333939135121342468

seems like we need a software update, presumaly they'll roll someting that was BT specific into the core YouView software? 

0 Ratings
SamdyGray
Contributor
Message 32 of 43

0 Ratings
Red_Snow
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 43

Excellent! Now if they can just remove the reliance on the home hub now and allow people to use their own routers that would be good
0 Ratings
flags
Contributor
Message 34 of 43

What's the technical reason about an Infinity connection being required for live streaming to work ?

We're on copper wires, rural and two miles from the exchange. But we stream movies perfectly with no buffering, regularly get download speeds of 8-10 meg. Why wouldn't that connection work with BT Sports ?

Just curious. Not a techy person.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 35 of 43

Well I was busting to tell you guys yesterday after my conversation with the VIP Complaints team on Sunday morning (yes, they rang me back on a Sunday morning!) but I thought I'd better hang fire until an announcement was made 🙂

I am really pleased with the seriousness BT has treated this; how often do you get such a fast reaction from a large corporation, and over a weekend at that!

I believe this will involve effectively registering your box as a BT device so that it behaves as one going forward. They are still testing that it will work but the plan is that this will also allow you to sign up for the extra channels. I have no info on pricing for BT TV services, but I would imagine the BT Sport access will depend on you renewing your Infinity contract for 12 months at least like everyone else.
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 36 of 43

The TV Connect service is specified to work over ADSL2+ lines in SD only. You'd probably need a good connection speed for multicast to work reliably as well.

The reason it isn't available yet is that BT have concentrated on upgrading Infinity exchanges for multicast first. Hopefully they'll move on to other exchanges at some stage, but the prime focus will naturally be on matching the fibre rollout.

0 Ratings
m00head
Beginner
Message 37 of 43

BT have now confirmed that people with BT Infinity and their own retail YouView box will have to subscribe to a BT TV package which start at £5/month, once the 'technical solution' (set-top box software upgrade) is in place:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43272

0 Ratings
Lloydygb
Beginner
Message 38 of 43

Last week ordered btsports and asked if my youview box from bt can get it, she said yes so I went for a new contract.
She forgot to tell me that I don't get Infinity
I called back to cancel and they said I can't
BT will lose a customer in twelve months , the cheating , dwindling, scumbags , idiots are going down the road just like talk talk
It is so wrong and am very angry
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 39 of 43

I'd think you have a good case for misselling there - ask them to review the call.

0 Ratings
SaintPaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 43

Exactly the same thing happened to me last week. when I called BT they omitted to tell me that I neeed Infinity. Fortunately I didn't sign up there and then.
0 Ratings