cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aerodynamic750
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 69

BT Sport on my Samsung Smart TV

Hi, this is my first question on the forum.

I've just ordered Infinity which should be installed next week Smiley Happy. I was told on the phone when ordering it that I can have BT Sport for free with the Infinity package. I didn't even know what BT Sport was to be honest but I've checked it out and it looks quite good. I phoned BT to ask if I can get BT Sport on my Samsung UE40D700 Smart TV which is connected to my home network and the internet via ethernet cable, but he didn't know. I got the impression he didn't know much about this sort of thing as he asked me if my TV ran Android!!

I know my Samsung Smart TV doesn't run on Android but I don't know if I can get BT Sport on it, either via the internet browser on the TV or is there a BT Sport app that I can install? I don't have SKY or YouView (but I do have a Humax FreeSat box if that's any use??) If not, am I right in thinking that the only way I can view BT Sport on my TV is to get it on my PC and then connect my PC to the TV via HDMI?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Gaz

0 Ratings
68 REPLIES 68
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 69

Re: BT Sport on my Samsung Smart TV

Yes you are correct. Unless you sign up for a BT TV package via a Youview or BT vision box, or via a Sky receiver, the only way you can watch is via the BT Sports Website, and by connecting your PC to the screen.

Quality will be pretty poor on a large screen TV compared to the packages designed specifically for TV. The internet browsers built into TVs don't generally support Microsoft Silverlight which will be used as the player software.

weeksy8
Message 3 of 69

Hi I have an iMAC and was wondering if I could use the Apple TV adaptor to show BT Sport through my TV via wifi?

Thank you

0 Ratings
aerodynamic750
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 69

Thanks Colin

Don't suppose my FreeSat box will work will it?? Does it have to be a sky box?

Cheers

Gaz

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 69

I'm afraid it won't work with Freesat.
It won't work via an Apple TV either.
You need to have
A BTVision box, a YouView box or a Sky box with a card.
Other ways to view will be via an app or online.
You can get a YouView box from BT for £5/month

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 69

Unfortunately a Freesat box won't work - it does not support the encryption needed to control access to he channel.

For satellite reception you'll need a Sky receiver with at least a Freesat from Sky card.
aerodynamic750
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 69

Thanks both

Sorry again for being a bit thick, but can I buy sky receiver with freesat from sky card off something like ebay second hand and if so any idea of cost? Or do I have to get one directly from Sky with a card that has my post code on it?

Many thanks again

Gaz

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 69

That's a dodgy route. It will work for me as I have a Sky box with a viewing card but have no sky sub. You can't record this way either. I would get a box from BT

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
aerodynamic750
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 69

OK thanks. Don't really want to pay BT another £5 per month as I've just increased my monthly payment to them for the Infinity. May have to just watch it on my laptop I think (or go to my local pub to watch the footySmiley Very Happy!)

Thanks again

Gaz

0 Ratings
Haribo
Contributor
Message 10 of 69

@aerodynamic750 wrote:

OK thanks. Don't really want to pay BT another £5 per month as I've just increased my monthly payment to them for the Infinity. May have to just watch it on my laptop I think (or go to my local pub to watch the footySmiley Very Happy!)

Thanks again

Gaz

You can just buy a sky box from ebay then order an official FSFS card. They card is £25 I believe and lasts 3 to 4 years.

That way you will get the channels in HD but not recordable.

No idea what the quality will be like on the laptop but I imagine it won't be HD.