cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gixx6r
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Sport or BT TV

I currently have BT Infinity 1. Yeah it is a good service but I take it because I watch MotoGP.

I have less than no interest in football. Currently I get BT Sport for free as part of my Infinity package. Presumably because BT have overstretched themselves to buy into (yawn) Champions League, they now appear to want me to pay £5 per month, to receive what I already get for free.

I see that BT-TV also offers BT Sport as part of a new contract for free - yet the website indicates they want a £35 activation fee to take it up...Like what the hell ?

What are they activating - I already have BT Sport. I also have Sky - I do not need the extra channels

I would ask why BT have switched MotoGP to the paid site instead of leaving it free as it is now, but I already know the answer - they are ripping off everyone to pay for the damned football that many of us do not want. Why the hell do BT not just make the football fans pay for their football if they really want to watch it and leave the GP fans alone ?

I am not happy to pay an extra £5 on principle - I am certainly not paying a £35 activation fee to activate what i already have, so I guess when my contract is out at the end of next month I will move elsewhere with my 20 odd quid a month payment and just watch MotoGP on the 'net. (It really is not hard to find). Sadly I just paid a years line rental in advance or they would be kissing goodbye to that too.

Have I really got no options to get my MotoGP free on BT any more ?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Sport or BT TV

It's £35 to "activate" the new YouView box.

That's really the charge for a new box, but they can't call it that.  In their T&Cs, they reserve the right to charge you the full retail price for the box if you leave within 12 months.  They couldn't do that if you had already paid £35 for it.  So they have been sneaky - instead they charge for postage and/or activation fees, which then allows them to say that you never paid for the box.

0 Ratings
Gixx6r
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

OK thanks mate. I dont need a box so I guess that leaves me back at square 1 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

BT Sport was never going to free for ever more regardless of recent football rights deals. The free offer was a marketing gimmick to get it off the ground. The new £5 offer is still a big discount from the full price and is still a marketing gimmick to encourage BT broadband and Phone take up. That was always the key aim for BT.

On Sky the only free option from Aug will be BT Sport Lite which as you know won't include MotoGP.

Some people have reported being offered BT Sport at £2.50 for a year after they complained a lot! Not sure which platform and might require an 18 month broadband re-contract though?
0 Ratings
Gixx6r
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Maybe if they had been straight up front, it would not have peed off so many people. The five quid I could cheerfully set fire to every month. It is nothing, it's the principle. They have been sneaky and dishonest. One has only to read these pages to see how much damage they have done their "reputation".
Sky caught a cold from being cocky and believing they could control their clients. BT are heading the same way and making huge very same mistakes.
0 Ratings
Gixx6r
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Maybe if they had been straight up front, it would not have peed off so many people. The five quid I could cheerfully set fire to every month. It is nothing, it's the principle. They have been sneaky and dishonest. One has only to read these pages to see how much damage they have done their "reputation".
Sky caught a cold from being cocky and believing they could control their clients. BT are heading the same way and making the very same mistakes.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

The problem seems to be that different departments in BT have failed to communicate properly, and so the sales people have been making offers they shouldn't have.

When BT Sport was first launched, BT promised it would be free for the first season (August to July).  They intended it to be free indefinitely, but would not guarantee that it would be free forever.

The trouble is, nobody told sales, who have been merrily offering free BT Sport for anyone signing up for a new broadband contract for 12 months.

A properly organised and responsible company would realise their mistake, and if anyone complained, they would give a refund on the price of sport for the remainder of the contract.  But BT is over-complex and frequently shambolic.

0 Ratings