cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FC12
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

BT and Sky matter

Can someone confirm this for me, why are bt allowing sky customers to have the option of buying bt sport through thier platform but sky are not letting bt youview customers the chance to take out sky sports? Bt will still be paying for the service so what's the problem ? Why are sky getting all the options?
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT and Sky matter

You can buy a £10 NowTV box to get access to Sky Sports and Sky Movies.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 11

Those on the sky platform are buying their BT sports direct from Bt not via Sky. There is no current wholesale agreement for Sky to have Bt sports.

Bt have a wholesale agreement for SD Sky Sports 1 & 2 on the Bt vision platform but no agreement in place on Youview.

0 Ratings
FC12
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

Is that the final decision or are bt youview and sky still working out a deal?
0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 5 of 11

ray,
That is a very expensive way to watch Sky Sports at £9.99 per 24 hours when you can pay £4.99 a month for Sky Sports for android phones only no tablets. Oh from the 5th Sept 2013 Sky have introduced packs. Pack 1 SS 1 & SS 2 only £4.99. Pack 2 all SS channels @ £9.99 per month. I give up with Sky
0 Ratings
mccallud
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

That's why I refuse to join Sky I object to them having the monopoly on TV Football and also deciding how you can see their channels on other platforms ! . Thats why I was glad to hear that BT had managed to get 38 EPL games and top picks !

Still waiting for BT Infinity to come to my area to get Sky Sports 1 & 2 Back Smiley Sad Been missing it since Top Up TV stopped in July . Paid for Now TV one to see the last lions test but a £9.99 for 24 hours that's far too expensive ! Fingers crossed I get Infinity this month !

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

BT went to OFCOM about Sky refusal to wholesale Sky Sports to BT Youview, even though they wholesale it to TalkTalk Youview and BT Vision via Dtv/freeview , but OFCOM wouldn't make an interim judgement to force Sky to do it, Sky wanted BT to wholesale BT Sport so they could sell it themselves, but as a minor TV company BT don't have to wholesale it , unless they want to, Sky on the other hand are said to have significant market power that's why they had to wholesale Sky Sports to BT on freeview which makes Ofcom decision not to force Sky to wholesale it on BT Youview a bit odd, Sky are in effect saying to BT if you don't wholesale yours to us, we won't wholesale ours to you, OFCOM normally stomp on big players stamping on new Market entrants, but haven't in this case
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

@iniltous wrote:
... but OFCOM wouldn't make an interim judgement to force Sky to do it,
... which makes Ofcom decision not to force Sky to wholesale it on BT Youview a bit odd,

As you say, that was only an interim decision. I think BT got a bit cheeky and asked Ofcom to force Sky to allow it before the start of the Prem season while Ofcom were still weighing up the evidence. Unsurprisingly Ofcom told BT where to go on that request. Smiley LOL

The proper decision is still due this winter I believe. So there is hope yet.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/ofcom-no-relief-for-bt-over-sky-sports/5058893.artic...

0 Ratings
FC12
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

I hope it does get sorted , aswell as me I am sure that a lot of the UK will want to watch most of the games from the premier league so I fear if BT don't get the deal sorted with sky there could be a lot of people leaving BT, which is a Shane because they are getting a good service going at the moment.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

I'm not sure it's BT being a bit cheeky, after all if BT, being in a position of Significant Market Power in the Telephony/broadband arena said we will wholesale our lines/broadband to all companies but Sky, I'm pretty sure OFCOM wouldn't let that decision stand and would make an immediate order to allow Sky access, it's not like Sky don't already provide wholesale access to Virgin, BT via freeview and TT on the very same Youview platform , and in TV Sky are just like BT in Telecoms, they are massive in comparison to start up ventures and as I already said, usually the dominant player isn't allowed to try and kill the new entrant at birth
0 Ratings