Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT sport won't work

Go to solution

Received my BT sport card, registered it on line & inserted into Vision box card slot. Channels 58 & 59 are displayed as BT sport 1 & 2 in the TV guide but selecting them just brings up the message “signal lost, please check your aerial”. ESPN card previously worked fine, I have tried rebooting the Vision box & mains adaptors with no effect. I have 2 aerials, each feeding separate signal splitters/boosters (we have TV’s in several rooms) & switching aerials makes no difference. I’m only about 4 miles from the Tacolneston digital transmitter, the signal appears good on both aerials with no dropout on any channels.

Is this really an aerial problem or is something else going on? Given both aerials seem to work perfectly on all other channels including HD (via a HD TV tuner), why should I need a new aerial? How do I know installing a new aerial will work? I really don't want to a lot of expense for nothing!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
bonsai
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT sport won't work

Go to solution

http://www.dtg.org.uk/industry/dtt_channels.html says that BT Sport 1&2 are on the COM6/ARQ B multiplex along with 4Music, Yesterday, Viva and plently more. So if those channels are watchable then reception doesn't seem to be the true problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

There is no special requirement for the aerial in order to receive BT Sport 1 & 2 on 58 and 59. You just need to be receiving a good signal for multiplex COM6.

Have a look at this page and in particular the last table for COM6. If you can view channels like ITV4, Yesterday and 4Music without problems then that implies you are getting a good signal for COM6.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/industry/dtt_channels.html

Note that ESPN used to transmit on COM4.

If you have the latest version of the software then it should have a signal strength checker.

Help & Settings > Settings > TV Settings > Freeview Signal Strength

Some boxes are still running slightly older versions and don't have this option.

0 Ratings
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Hi, thanks both for the prompt replies.

Hmmm; I can see all of those channels in the guide but selecting them brings up the same “signal lost please check your aerial” message! The Vision signal strength checker shows signal strength at 75dBuV (no idea if that is good but it’s 75% of the red bar) & signal quality shows 100%.

Does this mean I need a new aerial? If so what type? Is there, perhaps, a chance my aerials could be pointing in slightly the wrong direction as they haven’t been touched since the digital signal change over & I have no idea if the old analog aerial was in the same location. No other houses nearby seem to have re-alligned their aerials, would this be likely to help?

0 Ratings
bonsai
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Can your television pick those channels up sucessfully? (Assuming your TV has a freeview tuner)

0 Ratings
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Sorry edit that; checking signal strength on those individual channels shows nothing for both signal strength & quality!

0 Ratings
bonsai
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

That's not a good sign. The Digital switchover moved channel groups around in frequency meaning the ideal aerial type for a given transmitter changed in some circumstances.

Check with neighbours to see if they can successfully receive those channels. If yes, it would be fairly safe to assume that adjusting/replacing your aerial would help you.

0 Ratings
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Just tried tuning via my digital TV’s & I can receive all those channels clearly. Additionally, clicking on BT the sport channels 58 & 59 brings up the message scrambled signal. Am I therefore right in assuming my aerials are capable of receiving the signals & something else is wrong with the Vision box tuner?

0 Ratings
bonsai
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

If the ITV4, Yesterday etc have a strong signal on your TV then it sounds like the aerial is ok.

It's worth a retune on the Vision box (maybe a reset? Not an expert on Vision boxes) to see if this remedies it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

The Vision box is known to be a bit fussy about getting a good signal. This is partly because it has to feed two tuners, but also partly because the change from the Classic software to the New Look software seemed to make it even more fussy (there have been plenty of posts on the BT Vision forum about this).

So before worrying about whether you are set up for BT Sport correctly you need to get the other COM6 channels (ITV4, Yesterday, etc) working correctly on your BT Vision+ box.

Try removing the aerial from the back of the Vision+ box and doing a channel scan (from Help & Settings > Settings > TV Settings) . Of course it will find no channels, but will clear out the channel list to give a clean starting point. Then turn the power off at the mains socket, reinsert the aerial, turn the power back on. The box should go through the startup process and may ask to scan for channels. If it doesn't just redo the scan yourself. See if it finds ITV4 etc, and check what quality signal you are getting for them.

Lots of info about your transmitter.

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TM131958

P.S. The channel 57 BT Sport advertising is on the COM4 multiplex and not COM6.