cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 14

Britbox on BT Box buggy!?

I've just taken BT up on their offer of 6 months free Britbox, so thank you BT! 😀

However, when trying to use Britbox on my BT 4K Box it seems very buggy...

The UI seems very slow, and when I click on a menu, like Doctor Who, and get blank images!

The UI seems slighty different between the two as well.

However, Britbox on my PC in a browser is fine, very smooth and no image issue!

Here is what I am getting on my BT 4K Box...

Britbox issues 1.jpg

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Britbox on BT Box buggy!?

I haven't looked at it recently but I was on the BritBox YouView trial and it was buggy as hell.

Mainly it was slow and didn't seem to render/adjust format properly on differing screen sizes. A number of us on the trial fed this back yet it was released anyway without any changes (this is by YouView, not BT). 

Seems like it is still held together by sticky tape several months later. 

@4KTVFan I haven't seen bezels that thick on a TV since the 90s, what is it?

0 Ratings
4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 14

@stereohaven 

😞So everything you have just described in your post regard Britbox on my BT 4K box is what I am seeing.

The UI seems not to respond to remote presses sometimes, it seems laggy, and as I have shown, images are not being displayed.

While it's all fine on my laptop through a browser.

Maybe I'm feeling a bit run down, but I'm not given to to kick of at how BT could have released this, I think I've seen enough recently of see how BT is headed.

YES!!! @stereohaven  You are an eagled eye one! You're right, I have a few displays in my house, this is an old Sony TV from about 12 years ago!

stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

You know me, I'll happily give BT both barrels when required (a lot recently 😁), but for me, this is the responsibility of YouView.

They were told by a wide range of customers that it wasn't right, but they released it anyway across BT, TalkTalk and their dwindling retail user base.

I'm just surprised many months later that not much has changed. I tried it on my Apple TV, LG TV and laptop during the initial trial which were all fine in comparison. 

Just checked my emails and we trialled this for YouView in March.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 14

There was a previous post on here where someone wa shaving issues with it & a maintenance mode reset solved it, just an idea

0 Ratings
4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 14

Thanks @garybs29 !

I may give it a go.

But like I said before, I'm at the stage now where I am pretty much giving up on BT.

A commercial TV service where people have to reset there boxes is not for me.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 14

Of course I forgot that all the other providers are 100% perfect all the time too.......

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 14

@garybs29wrote:

Of course I forgot that all the other providers are 100% perfect all the time too.......

There are quite a few of us that have been with BT's TV service from the old days of BT Vision. The service has never been 100% stable, but we stuck with it as BT was giving us a little extra TV at a low price. Now the goalposts have changed a great deal, and the premium price BT are now charging deserves better hardware. Hopefully the new box we've all heard about in the pipeline will prove to be the answer. But how long will we have to wait?

0 Ratings
4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

@garybs29 

Yeah, resetting your TV box when there seems a problem is a natural solution.

I do wish it was that simple... @garybs29 

RANT coming now, and it's not aimed at you @garybs29, but modern life

My sister is her 60's, she has a Samsung TV with Vodafone as her broadband provider.

Why? Well I'll will tell, because like most retired people she doesn't have much money and Vodaphone  had the best deal at the time.

So why does she even have broadband? Because it's becoming increasingly impossible to live without, her hospital is even asking for follow up via WhatsApp! I'm not making this up! Her insurance is online, and so on...

In the last 6 months my sister has been on texted me 4-6 times, "It says I have to retune", "I've lost Forces TV".

For F**K sake!!!!!

Like I said, she has a Samsung TV, smart platform, I bought it for her as a Christmas present, I not even told her she can get Iplayer, and other streaming TV services, because she has to setup accounts for each, an iPlayer, account, an ITV account, an channel 4 account, and so on.

My sister tells me that when she goes on Marks and Spencer's website it says accept cookies, and she say NO!!! Because he is terrified of doing something wrong online.

As you get older, and I'm not that young myself, the online world comes terrifying, my sister is in her 60's, imagine someone on the 80's, with their dentist asking them to fill out their forms online, or a TV provide like BT sending out prices increases. (or NOT)... 

DO NOT, and I repeat, NOT NOT, get me started on how detached and scary the whole online world is for our increasing elderly population! TV services are just as bad. My sister  declines most App update requests!

And then when she does join an app, she gets bombarded with emails!!!!

Yes, you can turn them off, but elderly people don't know where to look or how to do it,

So yes @garybs29 Let's all reset our TV boxes, but WHO the F**K is coming around to reset my sisters box???

And ALL the other poor elderly folk who haven't got a clue want's going on! 

Rank over... let's stay friends!

*** Edit ***

Look, if modern electronics need resetting, the my point is have a button on the front!

Then me and customer services can just say "hold in button for two seconds"

But the whole press this hey while turning on, then select this mode otherwise all or recordings will be lost!!!!  

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 14

And you've just reminded me of another benefit, I've never had to retune my youview box whenever freeview decides to update their frequencies yet the all singing, all dancing smart tv requires me to do so. So yes there may be bad points about BT tv but there are good points as well

0 Ratings