cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ozsat
Expert
Message 1 of 13

Britbox on BTtv ?

So do others read this that BT will have Britbox on their Youview branded boxes?

It doesn't mention BT buy name - and no mention on Sky or VirginMedia.

Britbox announces first British distribution deals

---------------------------------------------------------------
using Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited with BT Max 4K package.
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Andy005
Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Britbox on BTtv ?

It's kind of inferred but as with all of these PR releases, there's a lot of words but very little actual information. I'm leaning more towards it being on the non subscription boxes, but that will change once they start struggling for subscribers, which they will.

I would be surprised if it's still around in 5 years time, if that.

Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I see a mention on Advanced Television (quoted a BT exec) that BT is involved with some deals. Any more info before I sign up?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

The press release says it will be available on Youview boxes by the end of 2019, so it looks promising.

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

Marc Allera (CEO of BT’s Consumer division: BT, EE and Plusnet), confirmed that it will be available via BT TV (and EE) on Twitter today: https://twitter.com/MarcAllera/status/1192405816294465537?s=20

marcallera.PNG

0 Ratings
robotman1
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

I notice he says 'in the coming months'. Heaven only knows when that will be if the Sky deal is anything to go by 😂

0 Ratings
Andy005
Expert
Message 7 of 13

I can't see Britbox surviving in the long term. It's mostly repeats, the most popular of which are currently available for free. A 2 or 3 year lifespan would be my guess, hardly worth developing an app for unless you are being paid handsomely.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Who knows on the lifespan,  but I read somewhere that those progs that are avavailable free elsewhere will no longer be available and will only be available on Britbox. BBC intend to make content available for upto 12 months on iplayer before it moves to Britbox. 

0 Ratings
Andy005
Expert
Message 9 of 13

With the BBC and C4 being public service broadcasters, then they have certain obligations. New content won't be exclusive for long, and I doubt that UKTV will lose Only Fools etc.

Time will tell but it's not the first adventure for the Beeb and ITV, I don't think either lasted very long or even offered anything worth paying for.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

I am seeing a trend here with BT? This service is now live. I have no idea what the coming months will offer form BT (just says watch this space), I have signed up directly to Britbox because the App on Apple TV is there now and working now. Why do I need the BT version BT, drop us some hints.