cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

Can I get BT TV without a satellite dish

I am moving into a block of flats and It doesn’t look like I will be able to have a satellite dish on the outside.  Therefore my question is can I get BT TV without a satellite dish?  Many thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can I get BT TV without a satellite dish

Hi TimEaston, BT TV doesn't require a satellite dish but you will need an aerial to get the Freeview channels. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

My guess is there will be a communal aerial somewhere to which all flats are connected. @TimEaston you need to ask the Block Management Company who would have been identified to you during the process of buying/renting, as the case may be.

For Freeview, we have a communal aerial located in the loft to which 9 flats are connected - same aerial and cabling since 1991.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

The paid-for BT TV channels come over your internet connection. Therefore if your internet connection is fast enough then you will be able to get BT TV channels.

However the non-BT TV supplied 'Freeview' channels (e.g. BBC One, ITV, C4, C5 etc.) do not come over the internet connection - they come via a TV aerial.

So most blocks of flats have a communal TV aerial system built in - there will be a round socket in the wall and you connect a cable between this and the BT TV box to get the 'Freeview' channels.

More expensive blocks of flats even sometimes have a communal satellite system - where you can plug a Sky or Freesat box into the wall.

However if you are unlucky some old flats don't have any communal system at all, and you would need to use an indoor TV aerial to connect to the BT box to get the Freeview channels. These indoor aerials only work where you have a strong signal and can give poor, breaking up reception. In this case it is probably better nowadays just to use apps like BBC iPlayer to cast the live channel from the internet to your TV rather than struggle with a dodgy indoor aerial.

0 Ratings