Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gwaelod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Can't access Bt Sport on Youview box

Go to solution

As title - I can't access BT Sport on my Youview box.  I have an unlimited BT Broadband package, and am not in an Infinity area.    I have BT Sport Pack listed on my bill - it costs £0.00 

My Youview box was not obtained from BT, but came from Youview directly as I was one of the original Youview trialists and was allowed to keep it end of the trial.  The box is branded BT and has BT Player app as part of the main Youview menu and listed within the list of "players"...like iPlayer, S4C player etc.  When I click on any of those options I get taken to a BT TV splash screen.  I think BT sport is available across third party youview boxes anyway...so I think it somehow should work.

I do not have BT sport showing on 507/508  or indeed any other channel in the main menu.

I never expected to see BT Sport whilst it was only enabled in association with Infinity...but now it appears to be available "free" to those with standard Broadband too...so I "should" theoretically be able to get it.  I have tried signing up for the BT TV essential package ... this will cost me £5 a month...which I don't think I should have to pay ... as its supposed to be free, and in anycase it looks like I will get another box If I do order it...which I don't need.

So...how do I get BT sport enabled........

BT sport works for me at home fine on my computer and via android app by the way.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: Can't access Bt Sport on Youview box

Go to solution

BT don't offer BT Sport on the BT TV platform unless you are signed up to a BT TV subscription.  As you've found, that's a minimum of £5/month.  That's just the way BT have chosen to do it.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Hi. My understanding was that yu could only get BT Sport on a YouView box if you have infinity BB and you pay the £5/month.

If you can't get infinity not much point paying the £5/month tbh.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Hi, it is also available on ADSL (normal broadband lines) if you have sufficient speed.

Stew

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Really? Are you sure about this? I have BT BB (not infinity, even though infinity is available in my area).

Are you saying that I can get BT Sport on my BT-provided YouView box without having to take infinity?

I get about ~14MBps on standard BB.

Can you point me in the direction of the part of the BT website where I can get Sport on YouView without taking Infinity?

thanks...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

You'll only be able to get it if your exchange is multicast-enabled for copper ADSL.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=27270

gwaelod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Yes after going through innumerable options and links on BT website I conclude that is the case...however the BT Sport website does say BT Sport is free for BT broadband users....with little if any qualification that it is only free via computer/android and not via Youview.

I think I'll drop a complaint in to ASA.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Ectophile wrote:

You'll only be able to get it if your exchange is multicast-enabled for copper ADSL.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=27270

Yes but that link states:

"If you can't get BT Infinity, you could get BT Sport with BT Broadband. BT Sport HD isn't available"
and not if you have BB and choose not to have Infinity.
I.e. if you want BT Sport on your YouView box and Infinity is available to you, you'll have to buy Infinity.
If you want BT Sport on your YouView box and Infinity is NOT available to you, AND your exchange is Copper multicast-enabled THEN you can have it on YouView. Otherwise not.
Yes?

0 Ratings
ronymaxwell
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

How do I find out if my exchange is Copper multicast-enabled?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution
Hi, put here details in the BT Wholesale chacker and it should say under "other offerings"

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Stew

0 Ratings