cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 66

Re: Changes to BT TV Channels

The only place F1 is going next is direct to consumer worldwide via the F1 TV app.

Linear TV and sports packages where you have to pay for loads of content you don’t want are dead. Sure they will thrash around a bit for a few more years as contracts play out, but the writing is on the wall.

Apps and the internet have democratised the delivery of content, if you are F1 or the Premier League or UEFA, you don’t need a broadcaster any longer, you can take subscription money from customers directly and all of the advertising revenue.

The direction of travel is pretty clear, when you look at the change in viewing habits data and how delivery of content continues to change, this only ends one way. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 66

I've not had any emails yet regarding this. Don't mind about NAT Geo as I've got Disney plus. So nice to get a extra channel. Never heard of NBC news, I'm assuming it's an American news channel?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 66

NBC and Sky are both owned by Comcast 

Message 14 of 66

@stereohaven Except when it comes to F1 they've been more than willing to not just go it alone with F1 TV but instead bundle it with the pay TV provider they go with, including with Sky in Germany  Granted that does end in 2024 but their new deal with Canal+ in France goes all the way through to 2029 (again with F1 TV bundled in). 

So it comes down to what sort of deal the 'linear broadcasters' offer.  I'll be interested to see what happens with the US TV deal that expires this year with lots of interest including from Netflix (although I take that with a giant pinch of salt as they get mentioned in relation to almost every TV deal).  

I'm sure we will get F1 TV Pro in the UK at the end of this deal but whether we have to pay for Sky (or another broadcaster) still is very much an open question.

Message 15 of 66

Perhaps I'm being a little optimistic about them shutting traditional broadcasters out on the next round of deals, but I do believe it will happen at some point in the next 10 years.

For reference, the first ever iPad was released 12 years ago. Time flies. 

I note the recent MLS deal with Apple is a hybrid of this (obviously MLS doesn't have the draw of F1), but it is an interesting step in the "everything in one app globally" direction. 

In that, Apple are paying $250 million a season, but they are actually only providing the app and platform, the MLS are doing all of the broadcasting elements, just like the Bundesliga does. 

The point for BT TV of course is not to get too tied up in who has what rights, but be agnostic and just to do as many deals for access to apps on the platform as possible and let the end customer choose what they want. They can clip the ticket as part of centralised billing and earn further income by offering rentals and purchases through BT Store.

It's why Sky is doing deals with all and sundry, they know linear TV and packages are dead, they need to be the delivery platform of choice to stay relevant for the next decade and beyond. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 16 of 66

Totally agree.

it is the way its going. I don't mind the NBC news channel. Alibi is definitely a good add on. (for those who don't know its very similar to sky crime/sky witness)

Still bugs me that Sky Replay isn't on now TV (sky's problem I know), that channel has content not even on their on demand platforms..

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 66

I've still not received any emails or letters regarding this

Message 18 of 66

NBC News Now was added to two slots on 21 June. This are in the NOW channels so not sure whether BT or NOW should do promotion - if any.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 66

Both need to do promotion. As some are not aware what now TV is. Rather they see it as BT's offering. Regular non bt now customers will need to know of the changes too.

I suspect they are hesitant as they will loose subscribers. However we know its Disney that are doing it. (same will happen with eurosport)

You can also argue that the swap isn't like for like either (doesn't bother me) but will bother others. 

Also on Tuesday syfy will rebrand as sky sci-fi. 

As others have said hbo content is likely to go from sky which will put sky Atlantic in doubt. 

@stereohaven put it brilliantly, linear TV is dying and the future seems to be streaming nested into that providers app. 

There's lots wrong with this going forward (one being app availability amongst devices and only the roku seems to have everything) 

Message 20 of 66

@biohazardx9 The Amazon Firestick also has a wide range of apps and updates at lest once or twice a month.

I do agree some devices don't offer all the apps and you cant always rely on catch up services as as a small number of programmes are still not on catch up services.

0 Ratings