cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 10

Clarification please - Bt statement

quote from BT statement - the original thread doesn't allows replies/questions etc

this also means that with the end of your premium channels subscription  you will also lose your premium channel recordings, this is because copyright and data protection laws protect all your recordings, so unfortunately when your subscription ends you can’t continue to access your recordings from these channels

This seems to be an incorrect intepretation on the law -  time shifted viewing is permitted. Any recordings are from a valid subscription period and should be subjected to the same time-shifting rules as any other legitimate recording.  It is unfortiunate that BT did not notify people in advance of their intentions here. Also  can anyone confirm wherher ESPN recordings will also be lost either now or post July 31st. ?

Also what does lost actually mean .... removed by Bt from the box  or as I suspect the recording remain on your box using disc space but not playable until deleted by the user. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Haribo
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Clarification please - Bt statement

@zulu17 wrote:

quote from BT statement - the original thread doesn't allows replies/questions etc

this also means that with the end of your premium channels subscription  you will also lose your premium channel recordings, this is because copyright and data protection laws protect all your recordings, so unfortunately when your subscription ends you can’t continue to access your recordings from these channels

This seems to be an incorrect intepretation on the law -  time shifted viewing is permitted. Any recordings are from a valid subscription period and should be subjected to the same time-shifting rules as any other legitimate recording.  It is unfortiunate that BT did not notify people in advance of their intentions here. Also  can anyone confirm wherher ESPN recordings will also be lost either now or post July 31st. ?

Also what does lost actually mean .... removed by Bt from the box  or as I suspect the recording remain on your box using disc space but not playable until deleted by the user. 

Which original thread are you referring to?

To address your actual point, I think this is standard across all platforms. I know that when you cancel any pay channel on sky, the stuff recorded from that channel is unaccessible.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

I agree with haribo. I think your 'box' loses the ability to decrypt the channels as you are no longer a subscriber. Hence you cannot watch any recordings of the premium channels

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 4 of 10

I agree with imjolly and haribo, if you remove or a channel is removed then any downloaded content from these channels are lost. It's different if you paid for a programme that you have downloaded then you have to be given access to it.

This is similar to what Sky did a few monthas ago when they released Sky Go Extra as all downloaded content would've been lost but as Sky gave a Free 2 month trial they informed customers that after the  2 months the content would be lost unless you took out a sub of £5 per month for SGE.

iechyd da

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Thank you for the input so far -- however responders have only addressed only one part of the clarification request and have based their responses on what Sky apparently does not on the points I raised for clarification

Paul360 -- it is not on demand content and as such it is not a download but recorded broadcasts.

As I said I am not aware of BT having notified their customers in advance as you say Sky Go Extra did.

The original BT statement is in the sticky section.

0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

What difference does it make really, you aren't able to watch them. Least you know in advance unlike some others who probably haven't read there letter properly.

Don't know on espn but we will find out soon!
0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 7 of 10

@zulu17 wrote:

BT are only allowed to provide access to programmes, including recordings, while you're actively susbscribing to the channel hence why you're losing access. 

The reference to data protection laws is however complete BS. Data protection laws have nothing to do with programme access or copyright. Think BT are guilty of just trying to beef up their otherwise perfectly valid explanation. 

0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Sorry my bad I've got it wrong again.

iechyd da

0 Ratings
Martin_Gibson
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

For a while late last year my box would sometimes fail to recognise the viewing card and claim that I was not subscribed to Sky Sports. A reboot would always cure this error, but until the box was rebooted and the subscription restored it would not play Sky Sports recordings.

0 Ratings
Haribo
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

@Martin_Gibson wrote:

For a while late last year my box would sometimes fail to recognise the viewing card and claim that I was not subscribed to Sky Sports. A reboot would always cure this error, but until the box was rebooted and the subscription restored it would not play Sky Sports recordings.

Yes the box cannot even decrypt the recordings without the card.

I suspect one reason for all this is simply that someone could, if they were so inclined, subscribe to a premium channel for a month and record 100s of hours of stuff and then entertain themselves with it after cancelling. I can see why providers would want to avoid that.

Also, I imagine the fact that your recordings will go when you cancel is a very good dissuader to cancel. And they don't want you cancelling.

0 Ratings