cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Commentators pronounciation

Just seen match Kieve v Chelsea. Why did both commentators insist on calling N'Golo Kante, Conte! Really poor stuff

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Commentators pronounciation

@hughbetterton wrote:

Just seen match Kieve v Chelsea. Why did both commentators insist on calling N'Golo Kante, Conte! Really poor stuff

N'Golo Kanté (note the accent on the final letter) is French. In the phonetics of his language, the letter combination 'an' is generally pronounced nasally like the English word 'on' (eg 'Le Mans') and the acute accent requires a second syllable approximating to the 'ay' in the English word 'say' (eg passé). So pronouncing 'Kanté' like the Italian 'Conte' is fairly accurate.

By the way, Chelsea were playing Kiev. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 3 of 3

Re: Commentators pronounciation

I am a French speaker. The phonetics of 'an' in French is dialect dependent; if you come from Paris, for example, 'an' is often soft pronounced, as you cite. However if you are from a banlieu then a range of speech is evident. N'Golo himself pronounces his name as my original note stated as I believe his name is spelt with the acute accent. I recognise Le Mans, as you cited. I am grateful for your spelling correction of Kiev; as you may realise fingers sometimes move more quickly than you need them. I could note 'branleur' but that would be rude, so maybe c’est trop relou!
0 Ratings