Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ossian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Dire quality broadcasts

Go to solution

Does anyone else suffer the same dire quality as I do when watching BT sport via broadband on a computer? It regularly pauses for a few seconds or longer then sudden;y speeds up in gast motion to get where it should be. It also often skips back the action for more than just a few seconds - maybe 20 to 30 seconds. It matters not which browser or computer or operating system version I use, it's just the same appalling quality. BT pay no attention to my complaints.

In comparison, NOW TV delivered over the same broadband connection to the same equipment (computers. router etc) is just about perfect. The conclusion for me is that the faut lies squarely with BT and NOT the customer, as BT is so keen on claiming.

It's really unwatchable and BT just do not care one jot. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Dire quality broadcasts

Go to solution

Hi @ossian,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry you're having problems witching the sports on your computer. Do you have the same problems watching on TV, if you have that service? Are you connected via cable or wireless? Are you using extenders or adaptors? If you can give us as much detail on your set up we'll try to help. In the meantime take a look at the Sports help pages and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
ossian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for your interest. I use either a desktop PC (AMD FX 8350 processor with 16Gb RAM) or a Thinkpad laptop (Intel i5 2.67 GHz 4Gb RAM) - both use the latest version of Windows 10 but previously Windows 7 and 8.1). The desktop PC is permanently connected to an ethernet cable plugged into the HomeHub 5 Router. The laptop usesi wifi from the HomeHub but i have also tried it with ethernet too. Nothing makes any difference to the unwatchable video.

Both the desktop and laptop are played via HDMI to external HD TV or HD monitor using IE11 or Firefox 46.

Using exactly the same equipment with NOW TV (not the box but the computers) the stream is just about perfect - same computers, browsers, wifi etc. To me that suggest the issue is with the BT stream and not my equiopment, signal or set up. If BT sport quality was as NOW TV, I wouldn't be complaining.

I've even tried reinstalling Windows 7 instead of 10 but it's just the same. The stream freezes for a few seconds then makes up at high speed to get to where it should be. This happens every 20-30-40 secords or so but not predicatbly. Less often is the crazy sutuation where it jumps back about haf a minute ten starts again. There are no error messages, just the awful unacceptable video.

It really is quite something that BT don't care about providing such a sub-standard service, especilly compared to their competitor.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@ossian 

Have you tried using the Windows BT Sport App which should be available to you on a windows 10 PC.

There are a couple of threads on this app  at

https://community.bt.com/t5/Watching-BT-Sport-via-the-App-or/BT-Sport-app-on-Windows-10-pc/td-p/1607...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Watching-BT-Sport-via-the-App-or/How-to-get-fullscreen-with-the-BT-Sport...

0 Ratings
ossian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks again.

I have installed the apps and will post back with how it went. On a slightly different tack, can you tell me if BT sport accessed via BT's YouView box is streamed via an internet connection or is actually an over-the-air broadcast like Freeview? I can't get an answer to this anywhere.

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

BT Sport via Youview is streamed via the internet using multicast streaming (as opposed to the app and online player that uses the normal unicast streaming). The result is a higher quality picture comparable to the best SD Freeview channels, and an HD pic that's crystal clear. Your exchange needs to be multicast enabled, not all are, preferably fibre, (though if fibre isn't available SD copper streaming can be used if your BB speed is fast enough). BT recommend 6.25mbps as the minimum.

0 Ratings
ossian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks - I don't know how I can tell if the exchange is multicast enabled. I've looked it up (Onich) but can't see anything about that. What I can say for certain is that is fibre enabled but that the fibre business line in our property is slower (about 10 mB/s) than the domestic BT broadband which is not fibre and provides about 15 mB/s, sometimes even higher.

No explanantion for that - just the usual shoulder-shrugging from BT.

0 Ratings
ossian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I installed the app and wayched some live action over the past 2 evenings. The quality was much improved - it was entirely ok apart fom some inexplicable freezing of the window (but not the stream) - couldn't go back and couldn't get the volume icon to appear and thw whirling wait icon appreared over the active window area.

The biggest annyoance was actually due to Microsoft. Because I had to download the app from Microsoft store and use my Microsoft account details for that (only ever used occasionally), I found that my Windows 10 log in details had been hihacked by Microsoft - email and password whereas I only ever used a log in name previously to automatically log in. I had no choice but to use the Microsoft details to access my computers and then restore my normall og in arrangement in the accounts section. Typical Microsoft, trying to force something of theirs on to the user. BT should have made the download independent though.

Thanks again for the advice.

0 Ratings