cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Dismayed with BT

Really dismayed with BT right now, I was coming to the end of my contract recently & was considering moving to another provider, I wasn't unhappy with BT it was just that a competitor was offering a TV package that better suited my needs & BT's current package required me upgrading to a higher cost package than I was already on to continue getting the channels I required. I rang the BT retentions team & was informed if I renewed my broadband with them (actually ended up upgrading to FTTP) I could keep my existing TV package. All was good initially until the other day when I received an email informing me that certain channels (including one of the very few I watch) was to be removed from my package. I rang BT to find out what was going on only to informed that I actually couldn't keep my existing package at all & would need to upgrade to a more expensive one to keep the channels I required. If I had have been told this during the renewal discussion I would never have renewed with them. Not at all happy about this, feel very much as though I have been misled & if I'm honest I'm not finding any of the options they've offered me to be satisfactory.

1. Lose the channels.

1. Upgrade to a more expensive package (majority of which is for channels I will never watch).

1. Leave, even though I am just outside my cooling off period (they have offered me this option but I only have a few days to decide).

My gut feeling is to leave but I honestly can't be bothered with the hassle right now, I've already taken a couple of days off work to have engineers in my home for the switch to FTTP & everything is working spot on.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Is this standard BT tactics to get people to renew with them? It does seem rather underhand to offer a customer a deal to get them signed up only for them to renege on it a few weeks later. They have closed my complaint even though I'm not happy with the options they have offered me.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Dismayed with BT

I’ve experienced similar on a mobile renewal & been repeatedly lied to when trying to negotiate a new broadband deal. Whether it’s deliberate mis-selling or sheer incompetence is hard to know. Either way it shows that BT’s training leaves a great deal to be desired.

What are the channels you need? Would a contract direct with Now achieve what you want?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Channels I need are Eurosport & BT Sport, only thing I watch on subscription channels is MotoGP & Superbikes (World & British). Only way I can get these on current BT package is to upgrade to their 'Big Sport' package which is all the SKY Sports channels but I literally don't watch anything else on them (football, cricket, F1 etc.), I would be paying it just for Eurosport which when you consider the increase in cost per month multiplied by the duration of the contract really isn't a very good deal at all... I will have look at the Now TV package though, don't know if Eurosport is on that?, also can you record it on a BT TV box? I work weekends during the day & watch the bike racing in the evening when I get in from work. Failing that I suppose it's using some kind of catch up service (Eurosport player) but these don't always update all that quickly & I don't think they are supported on BT TV anyway, would have to watch it on my PC or something....

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

There is another option; Eurosport costs £6.99/month if you go with them direct, Google "Eurosport Subscription"

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Now only has Sky Sports channels. You can subscribe to MotoGP direct but no option to record. You'd have to check out their web site for exactly what's offered on catchup.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

I know you feel it was underhand etc but believe me from experience the person who you talked to probably wasn't aware of the changes coming when they talked to you. In companies like BT things can change from one day to the next

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

It may very well be the case that the advisor was unaware of this situation which begs the question what is the point of them? If BT are not keeping their advisors up to date then how are they supposed to do their jobs? I'll be honest I'm taking what I've been offered now with a pinch of salt, who's to say BT won't renege on that? This really is very poor indeed & their response of put up, pay up or clear off isn't exactly making me feel like a valued customer right now...

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Well they are kept up to date, they'll come in one day to messages about what's happening, just because it's changed from what you were told a few weeks back isn't poor, the person on the end of the phone won't have been aware of the upcoming change at that point

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

If that is indeed the case then it should be made very clear when signing up that what you're being offered may actually not materialise & it wasn't. You wouldn't expect to buy a car, have the sales person tell you it came with alloy wheels only for it arrive without them & then be expected to pay extra to get them fitted. I was sold a product that it now transpires I'm not going to get & I'm failing to see how that is really acceptable TBH....

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Hence in the terms & conditions it says things may change at any time but they'll let you know in advance which they have done

0 Ratings