Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guppyfish1
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Disney+ coming to BT - Question

Hi All,

Disney+ is lining up to be a really good service. Does anyone know if Youview or BT will offer the app under Players?

https://preview.disneyplus.com/uk/ Currently while it launches in the US in November but as yet no date for the UK. Or will all the new Disney shows and films content be on Sky?

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
dfel100
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Disney+ coming to BT - Question

Good question!  I see it has Nat Geo on it does that mean we may lose those channels if it doesn't?

0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Disney+ is some way off appearing on these shores. I'd say it's most likely both BT and Sky will lose Nat Geo at some point, but not until current carriage agreements would run out, whenever that may be.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Hi @Guppyfish1 

I believe the slide (107)  presented at Disney Investor Relations's presentation showed Western Europe launch during the first two quarters of the company 's financial year 20. So would  that not make it sometime in the period November  2019 to May2020 for countries such as the UK.

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

All of the 100% Disney owned content will go to their own platform with lots of new, original products. According to Google, Disney don't have 100% ownership of NatGeo so that could stay as a linear channel package. 

Personally i'm looking forward to Disney+ and if they keep the pricing at £6.99 per month it'll be good value for money.

Launch date for Western Europe is going to be around March 2020.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

I thought the Netherlands was one of the early  (ie November) launches planned.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
NigelB72
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

I'm not sure about Netherlands but i read that most of Western Europe is rolling out in March 2020 so hopefully we'll be in that batch

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

According to a couple of articles I found via Google, Sky's current Disney deal expires in 2020 (not sure exactly when), but I also found it quite interesting that their HBO deal also expires next year (UK version of HBO GO anyone?)

Based on what I have read so far, I do expect Disney to pull it's content from all platforms as these deals expire and the only place you will get access is via Disney+, so that has an impact on the kids channels bolt on for BT. 

It would be nice for Disney+ to be available via BTTV and it feels like the direction BT is going is to aggregate content from apps. Saves paying for carriage rights yourself I suppose.

0 Ratings
robotman1
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

I think the plan is to pull all Disney content from everyone and Sky's exclusive HBO does run out next year but they're launching new channels next year with some of the HBO stuff on. So they've probably done some content extension deals

0 Ratings