cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 11 of 26

Re: Disney+ coming to BT - Question

Disney+ is confirmed as arriving in the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain on the 31st March 2020.

Note: "Titles may vary by territory" 

Disney+ Announcement | Available in the UK & More March 31

Obviously no confirmation yet if it will be available via BTTV, but as a lot of content will be available in 4K HDR I think it would look nice on a new box... #justsaying

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 12 of 26

I'm sure I read the app will be available on STB's ready for launch. Not heard if you will be able to bill it straight to your account as you can with Netflix though but I'd imagine they'll sort something out cos the new HDR 4K box is coming in the New Year.. 👏

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 26

Spoiler

Reading the press release reports of the launch day (today), loads of 4k, DV and Atmos and HDR 10 if they are correct.

Edit. (Not here in the UK today obviously)

Highlighted
Expert
Message 14 of 26

According to an article I read yesterday, the removal of content from Sky/NOW TV has begun in earnest with Disney pulling more than half of its TV box sets already, including popular series such as Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and Marvel shows:

Disney pulls shows from Sky as it prepares for UK streaming debut 

This article suggests the expectation is for the live Disney channels to stay on Sky, so that may mean they are safe on BT TV as well. Time will tell.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 15 of 26

That Guardian article has been discussed in another forum.

The conclusion there is that Disney is NOT pulling content from Sky, as that infers a unilateral break in contract arrangements. What is happening is that Disney are choosing not to renew an expiring deal, a wholly different aspect to the situation.

There is exasperation at Sky yes, but nothing to suggest anything that could end in a confrontational relationship betwen the parties. It's a natural progression, nothing else. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 16 of 26

I'm thinking about maybe getting Disney+ depending g on cost per month. To add to Netflicpx and Amazon Prime Video that I also have.

So I'm hopping the BT Youview boxes or Youview itself will be adding the Disney+ app this year.

As my 2013 and 2014 Samsung full HD smart TVs don't support some newer apps.

I also finding in the last short while I'm using Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and the catch up players a little more than I am watching the channels via BT TV and the Freeview channels.

Darren

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 26

So if the latest press murmurings are correct, Disney+ will not be appearing on BT TV anytime soon as Sky are on the verge of agreeing an exclusive carriage deal.

It will still be available via other devices though so it's not like it can't be accessed by BT TV customers, just not via their YouView boxes.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 18 of 26

That's mega **bleep** if that's the case. If Disney+ do an exclusive carriage deal with Sky, I'll not bother subscribing at all 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 26

The article only says it is an exclusive billing tie in. So sky will be able to bill for Disney+ with thier sky charges and will probably highlight Disney content on its menu screen. It will certainly still be available via an app on smart TVs, Apple TV, chromecast, iOS, Android etc with direct per month billing with Disney. It could still be accessible by an app on BTTV boxes but that is a bit more uncertain.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 26

@scointer 

They’re clearly taking the same approach here as they are in France. If it appears on anything other than Sky Q boxes as far as TV providers go, I’ll be amazed. 

They focused on Canal+ because it gives them instant access to millions of customers and a benefit for Canal+ is that the deal is exclusive for a set period. 

As said, if this appears on YouView boxes I’ll be amazed. 

0 Ratings