Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
stephendreay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 49

Re: Do not get BTSport you will be locked into a new 12 month contract

That may be true today but that wasn't the case when I  subscribed to BT Sport and there is nothing in the order confirmation either. There is some consumer law that requires service providers to ensure they make very clear there are onerous conditions and explicitely get permission. BT failed to do this and have no evidence to prove otherwise. It will cost them over £100 pound if I go to the ombudsman and they will lose custom so not sure why they do it.

Your case is slightly different in that you were upgrading a package in my case I was accepting BTs offer of 'free' BT Sport becuase I had broadband but in trith the broadband costs me £80 for three months approximately.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 42 of 49

stephendreay wrote:

Your case is slightly different in that you were upgrading a package

I wasn't trying to compare, just commenting that in my view the contract conditions for BT Sport were very clear, even to someone like me who was not directly affected.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 43 of 49

Please let us know how you get on with the Ombudsman

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 44 of 49

"That may be true today but that wasn't the case when I subscribed to BT Sport and there is nothing in the order confirmation either. There is some consumer law that requires service providers to ensure they make very clear there are onerous conditions and explicitely get permission. BT failed to do this and have no evidence to prove otherwise. It will cost them over £100 pound if I go to the ombudsman and they will lose custom so not sure why they do it.
Your case is slightly different in that you were upgrading a package in my case I was accepting BTs offer of 'free' BT Sport becuase I had broadband but in trith the broadband costs me £80 for three months approximately."

Not quite with you. "That may be true today?" I took BT Sports when it was first launched. I wasn't upgrading. Are you just seeing what you want to see?
0 Ratings
stephendreay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 49

"Not quite with you. "That may be true today?" I took BT Sports when it was first launched. I wasn't upgrading. Are you just seeing what you want to see?"

If I wasn't aware my broadband contract had been extended on different terms then I didn't see it. I wouldn't be really looking for any small print as the offer was presented to as something I could have as broadband customer and all I had to do was put in my SKY card details. It is clear from this forum that many other people were not aware. My understanding is that BT have now changed the screen. Online processes are  problematic which is why you get an order confirmation. As it's such an important change in the contract you would expect to see very prominently 'your contract has been extended from this date to that date'. The BT operator first said it was in the order confirmation but when I sent a copy she couldn't find and feel back on the fact it 'would have been mentioned during the online process'. Well BT dont record the online process so there is no way of telling what I saw that day, where it was on the screen or how I accepted the onerous terms.

0 Ratings
stephendreay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 46 of 49

Bt have now admitted there may be a problem with the process and I have had my contract cancelled.

Ok we have fed this information back to our process people as we are aware that there may be an issue with the re contracting aspect not being clear.

0 Ratings
Tonums
Message 47 of 49

Hi All

I didn't realise that my contract would be renewed either but that isn't the real issue for me.

I ordered BT Sport when it was first announced (aproximately) in May 2013 but of course the service didn't start until 1st August 2013.

My question is..... when will my contract be up?  Would it be May 2014 or 31 July 2014?

Thanks for your interest.

Tonums

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 48 of 49

try live chat they should be able to tell you but I expect May 

live chat

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Guru
Message 49 of 49

I also ordered the free BT Sport in May 2013 at the same time as a new phone/broadband/tv package.

After BT seemingly messing up the BT Sport bit and after me chasing it up in June and July, they ended up ordering it again without me asking them to do so. I phoned up to check that they hadn't moved the end date for any contract minimum term. They checked and said no I was still only tied in for anything up to May. I'll find out for definite if that was true in a couple of months.

What will be interesting to know is whether for me the current free BT Sport ends in May or the end of July. The last order confirmation I got seemed to suggest the end of July and that I could still continue getting it for free after that if I renewed the BT Sport subscription and committed to BT phone/broadband for another 12 months. But we will have to wait and see exactly how the freebie plays out this year.

0 Ratings